Does a ground wire nut need to be in a box?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Ian Gills, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I have just spliced one of the wires coming from my coaxial cable surge protector so that it can have the proper connection to be properly bonded to the electrical service ground.

I have used a wire nut to do this.

Does this wire nut need to be in a box, like all wire nuts on high voltage equipment or am I OK to leave it in the open air since this is a ground on a low voltage line?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Problem resolved: make the surge protector the box and put the wire nut inside that.
  3. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

I don't think surge protector ground wires carry heavy fault currents, but the NEC may tell you anyway to put it in a box.

Your avatars are becoming more sinister:eek: