Do you use teflon tape or pipe dope on seats and stems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just wondering. I haven't been using it, but I noticed that the threads on some of the seats and stems I replaced were wrapped in teflon tape.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
They are not designed to require any sealant on them. I always use teflon tape. I never have leaks, and I am too old a dog to change my ways!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I believe the seats need some sort of sealant, if not paste thread sealant, then maybe Teflon tape.

With the stems, those have washers that seal.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Follow-up question: If a valve stem or seat was not sealed properly and thus leaks at the threads, would it show up as a leak in the shower or behind the shower?

I'm guessing the valve stem would leak inside the tub in the same way a stem with a loose packing nut would leak. And a seat that is not sealed properly would leak behind the shower (and might do some serious damage). Is this about right?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
The seat is located inside the valve body. I use pipe dope, not necessarily as a sealant, but to ensure its eay removal when its worn out.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
A thin wind of thin tape under the seats' shoulder will insure no leak from the back side of the seat and won't interfere with anything. I look at as a gasket.

Same with supplementing the seal where the steam it threaded into the valve body.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks