Do you use plumbers grease inside of faucets?

Users who are viewing this thread

NavySuit

Reaction score
I'm replacing the steel ball located inside a single handle tub faucet. I noticed some people use plumber grease to lubricate the ball and rubber seats. One brand I was looking at says not to use the grease on o rings or rubber parts. Should I use plumbers grease for my application? If so, what type or brand should I use?

NavySuit

Reaction score
It looks like silicone grease is what is recommended. Is it necessary to apply in my application?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the parts come from the factory with some silicon based plumber's grease on them. While maybe not required, in my limited experience, it makes things smoother to operate. Can't say if they actually last longer. You do not want to use any petroleum based grease or other product on the rubber - first, because when you use hot water some of it could dissolve, and second, some rubbers will be damaged because of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks