Do you think our Rheem heater has died? (w Photos)

Users who are viewing this thread

SnappleG

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

A couple of days ago I noticed that our water was not heating up as it was before. Yesterday we did not have hot water at all. I went to our Rheem 42V50-40F heater and looking at the pool of water below it + corrosion on the top I assumed that it is not worth fixing it at this point - too much damage. Honestly, it was an assumption based on how corroded some parts were, nothing else.

I never maintained it since buying a house (yes, you can start throwing rotten tomatoes at me. The sticker says 2004, so I am assuming it was the original heater for the house.

What do you think? Should I ask a certified plumber to look at it or I should be getting quotes for a new heater installation?

Thank you for your input.
0ZlCx3pwvhE20Zr11rqbJYo0hg3T03FPMEfoCz8lWKsLAYspN.jpg
J_yHtHezB8c01QAtPC96VeH1v0dSlMYOkW7ioRAMF_QE0Xnc3.jpg

Attachments

• nqE-MWUcsttygDCqg1GAl_JUm80FgCnRWxh4Rq_49kkLAYspN.jpg
    nqE-MWUcsttygDCqg1GAl_JUm80FgCnRWxh4Rq_49kkLAYspN.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 294

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Eleven years and looking like that.
I would replace the water heater at this point. A call to "look" at the leak is part way to a new tank.
They can go anytime after ten years and last as long as twenty.
I've also seen them go at seven years.

You can carefully dry off the flex connectors, and if you can see a leak above the water heater, then replacing the flex would be an easy fix. If the water is coming from the tank, then it's a gonner.

SnappleG

Reaction score
Thank you very much, Terry! I don't think I want to resurrect this baby, it is time for it to go. Help me Google to research our future water heater! :)

SnappleG

Reaction score
What do you guys think about Whirlpool model which has a powered anode rode: PCG2J5040T3NOV 100? We have a softener in the house, and I read that powered anode rodes help to protect water heaters. Is it worth $930? Are there any other options for a water heater with a pre-installed powered anode rod? I don't like that it has a digital screen, cannot be sure it will work as long as a regular dial. TY
PCG2J5040T3NOV%20100.jpg

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
You have a very hot avatar.. do you look like her??

PLEASE STAY AWAY from that junk from whirlpool.... you do not want the troubles that it will bring you...
Just get yourself a Rheem water heater without all those bells and whistles on it and you will be happy....

Whirlpool is 100% JUNK and will fail on you within a few years and no one in your town will be willing to work on
that crap... then you will really be pulling out your hair when you finally give up and get another brand...
Save yourself all this greif and get a Rheem from HD or a plumber

Look at my credentials and click on http://whirlpoolwaterheaterrepair.com/

SnappleG

Reaction score
No, I do not look like Monica Bellucci, at least nobody ever confused me with her lol I'm 5'4, 127lb, she is taller, around 5'7 and weights a little bit more because of her height.

Anyway, jokes aside, the only reason I chose this model is because of the powered anode rod. I actually believe our water softener killed our WH, (well, at least fast-forwarded its final days). Since it is such a pain to check on an anode rod and then replace it, I figured out powered was the way to go.
Whirlpool's water heaters are made by A.O. Smith. They even have the same model of the above mentioned WH but under different SKU number. I heard many times people who say that Whirlpool's heaters are bad in the same sentence promote A.O. Smith which is confusing.

Unfortunately, Rheem does not have any powered anode rods models. Is it possible that Whirlpool's quality improved during last few years and the calls you are getting are regarding older models which had ignition problems among others? Should I just buy a powered anode rod separately and attach it to a Rheem WH? I just wanted to have an easy solution.

SnappleG

Reaction score
Previous owners did not have water softener so w a softener it got degraded pretty fast (4 years)

I actually thought I had explained that I wanted not to deal with a disintegrating anode rod. Besides, I am pretty specific with my food consumption, so I will continue making my own breakfast for now ;)

Obviously, if this model from Whirlpool is not reliable and so troublesome, I would rather buy Rheem and possibly add a powered rod separately. I value your opinion and everybody's else on this board; I fully understand that Whirlpool had so many problems at some point that professionals do not trust this brand anymore. Because of this I was planning on buying it from Lowes w their protection plan (and I never buy a store warranty for anything). Their protection plan is also not that great ("We'll cover repairs due to power surge, from day one" hmmm), but at least it has this in the case of a total disaster - "From day one, we'll cover the labor cost of re-installation if your water heater cannot be repaired and needs to be replaced".

What I want is to hear an educated opinion on why this specific model PCG2J5040T3NOV 100 is a bad/good choice (beside having a digital temperature display without a regular dial).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Other than a leaking flex connector, there is no repair to be done on a water heater. Rheem has a good record, Bradford White is good. Whirlpool no good, others ???. As far a life expectancy is concerned, there's no way to accurately predict. Water quality is a big factor, but it's really a crap shoot. After 10 or 12 years, I'd start watching closely for leaks.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Previous owners did not have water softener so w a softener it got degraded pretty fast (4 years)

I actually thought I had explained that I wanted not to deal with a disintegrating anode rod. Besides, I am pretty specific with my food consumption, so I will continue making my own breakfast for now ;)

What I want is to hear an educated opinion on why this specific model PCG2J5040T3NOV 100 is a bad/good choice (beside having a digital temperature display without a regular dial).

You came to the wrong place if you want an educated answer lady.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck and craps like a duck.. then by golley, its probably a duck....

All you have to do is call some plumber in your area and ask them if they would come out and REPAIR that junk and see how many are willing to deal with Whirlpool... odds are most wont be willing to deal with it....

They have been trying to re-invent the wheel ever since 2001 and have paid dearly for it with their first total disaster called the "flame Lock" water heater....they put very little research and development into that design and it has almost bankrupted them ......but they were first on the market with a FVIR water heater...... bravo....

They have an electric water heater called the "energy smart" that is another disaster that no one in their right mind will work on either...... I dont know how many homes have been smoked up due to that control burning out and its nearly impossible to repair...

Now you have this new heater from Whirlpool, PCG2J5040T3NOV with all these bells and whistles on it... what do you think the odds are that they actually did enough research and field development before they threw this piece of crap onto the market??
It looks real impressive, but you must realize that their track record absolutely SUCKS.... and I doubt that you will find anyone to service this heater a year from now if you buy it... It is honestly your gamble....

I would stick with something simple like the RHEEM heater you had and
dont get your panties into such a bind
worrying and fretting about a powered anod rod.......

dont worry about a disintegrating anode rod... they all do it
and its no big deal.......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks