Do you pay the plumber-roto rooter man?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ballvalve, Feb 27, 2011.

1. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Rental. septic system. Plugged main line in the crawlspace. I usually open a cleanout and jet it with a garden hose.

Subbed it to the plumber for 145$. He pulled a toilet and ran his snake - 100'

No result, so his report is that he thinks the snake is in the tank and the pipe is clean.

I had doubts, but the Septic was pretty due for a look. Tank was NOT backed up. After 150$ in digging and $425 in pumping, kicked the inlet tee on the tank.

And there came a nice plug about 6" long of snot that the plumber had pushed right to the inlet tee. He was 6" short of being worth his $145.

So how would you deal with that? How much snake should a guy have if he calls himself a drain cleaner?

And should he have known he did not pass the 90' tank inlet?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

YOu have as much as you need. I have 150' on my truck. You decide where the tank is and then go 10' further, assuming your snake will make the turn at the baffle tee and go downward, and not up against the lid which sometimes happens. Snaking a septic line takes about 50% experience and 50% luck to know WHEN to stop.
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

I keep 250 feet of 7/8 for my K60 that's about all I can handle by myself.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If ANYONE installed a sewer with more than 125 feet between cleanouts, much less 250', it would be time for a backhoe to install them.