Do water hammer arrestors wear out?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ArtBacon, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ArtBacon

ArtBacon New Member

I have a 5 year old "High Efficiency" LG washing machine. The intake valves open and close so fast it cause a pretty strong water hammer. When I had the washer delivered and hooked up, I put a water hammer arrestor on the hot an cold intakes. The water hammer noise seems to be getting louder again. Do these devices wear out, or are there some that work better than others? Thanks
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

You don't say what style of arrestors you used. The type that have no moving parts cannot possibly wear out but they can get waterlogged over time as the air gets absorbed into the water.

The gas charged piston and O-ring style could wear out if there is sediment.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

They can wear out.
    They make some that fit right on the washer, and the hose threads onto that.

[​IMG]
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is not so much that they "wear out", but rather the "O" rings lose their lubrication and so the piston gets stuck and cannot move to absorb the water shock.