Do It Yourself Book

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So far as learning new things and books go, I like to get three books on the same subject by different authors/publishers. I learn the most this way.

With just one book, something might not be explained very well and I don't understand it. Then the second book with explain the same thing differently and I will then understand it. And sometimes two books will give conflicting advice, then the 3rd will confirm something should be done one way or another.

Also the important stuff is drilled into my head three times by reading three books.

BTW I read a LOT and it is not uncommon to see mistakes in books. (Frequently toward the back.) I think the proof readers get tired after going through the first part of the book and are not so careful with the rest.

These books that Taunton Press publishes are hacker guides at best.
I sincerely doubt the credentials of the authors. The stuff they write is just too unbelievable!

CarlH

Reaction score
Take a look at the picture below and see if you see anything wrong with it... It should be good for a belly laugh! Sorry about the bad copy but I was not going to buy it to get you a better view.

Is that an AAV way down low? Hard to tell from the picture.

DW drain without an airgap, but at least there is a high loop.

Are those rubber fittings kosher? Also, there seems to be a lot more junctions in the revised job than there were in the original. I guess the rubber fittings allow you to remove the trap since I can't tell how that PVC is put together. The trap configuration now looks more like an S trap than a P trap. I see comments regarding the use of an S trap. What's wrong with S traps?

At least that is what these DIY homeowner eyes can see.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Redwood,

I actually read that article and used it under one of my kitchen sinks. The idea was to keep the piping towards the back away from damage and also to increase the drain size coming off the strainer by using a pvc fitting on the outside instead of a washer would collects dirt and closes the opening a little.

I'd like to hear all of your points on what is wrong with that setup.

Bye the way I also read two other books by Rex and it says he's a licensed plumber and licensed electrician. Don't know if they would lie about that. The taunton does publish a lot of stuff. Never actually confirmed any of the information myself. But then again, I never confirmed the moon landing either.

Cookie

Reaction score
Here is what I could find about Michael Litchfield

http://www.nahww.org/content.aspx?page_id=80&club_id=493314&member_id=45824

Here's what I came up with for Michael Mcalister...
http://www.infinitesmile.org/:D

Seriously this is what I found.
http://www.buildersbooksource.com/cgi-bin/booksite/24390.html

Maybe I should make up a webpage listing my credentials:D

Red,

Here is what I found on Michael Mcalister is yours and mine the same guy? Mine says electrical, studied at Berkely.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/mcalistermichael
This man is more than qualified, but yet co-authored the book in question.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One of the licence numbers listed in the link.....818870.. is inactive. The other CA contractors licenses are active and up to date, with bonds and workers comp posted.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is that an AAV way down low? Hard to tell from the picture.

DW drain without an airgap, but at least there is a high loop.

Are those rubber fittings kosher? Also, there seems to be a lot more junctions in the revised job than there were in the original. I guess the rubber fittings allow you to remove the trap since I can't tell how that PVC is put together. The trap configuration now looks more like an S trap than a P trap. I see comments regarding the use of an S trap. What's wrong with S traps?

At least that is what these DIY homeowner eyes can see.

No, that is a cleanout plug it is not vented properly. Or, even vented with an AAV for that matter.

The requirement for an airgap is not required everywhere but it should be noted that it might be.

Those rubber fittings should be outlawed! They are far from being Kosher!

S-traps are just plain illegal and not to code. They cannot be properly vented.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Redwood,

I actually read that article and used it under one of my kitchen sinks. The idea was to keep the piping towards the back away from damage and also to increase the drain size coming off the strainer by using a pvc fitting on the outside instead of a washer would collects dirt and closes the opening a little.

I'd like to hear all of your points on what is wrong with that setup.

Bye the way I also read two other books by Rex and it says he's a licensed plumber and licensed electrician. Don't know if they would lie about that. The taunton does publish a lot of stuff. Never actually confirmed any of the information myself. But then again, I never confirmed the moon landing either.

I think Rex Cauldwell is less like the moon landing and more like Roswell, New Mexico....

I would hook up the sink drain in the conventional manner with the pipes crossing over between the 2 sinks as high as possible to keep them up out of the way and avoid possible damage. I would also use slip joints to make it possible to disassembel for cleaning if needed.

sink_dw.jpg

His methods are definitely hacker handyman at best.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I find this very interesting. I purchased a copy of Mr. Cauldwell's book on inspecting a house at Half Price Books a few years ago. I was NOT impressed with the chapters on electricity, plumbing or heating systems.

Later I read on another website how the "For Pros By Pros" series of books were among the best a person could read and they especially recommended Mr. Cauldwell's book on wiring a home. I freakin' couldn't believe it! Of course, to be fair I must admit that every DIY type of book I have read has gotten at least on thing flat out wrong.

I'm an engineer but the title "engineer" means very little to me. I've known far too many "engineers" over the years that I wouldn't trust to oil the wheels on a kiddie car. I've known electrical engineers that couldn't plug in a toaster or change a light bulb and do it correctly. I've known mechanical engineers that couldn't grasp the simplest concepts of machinery. Yet many of these "engineers" not only had the degree but also a state-issued "Professional Engineer" license.

I've met tradesmen (and women) that claimed to have thirty years of experience but really had one year of experience thirty times over. I'm quite leery of ANYONE that has to brag about their degrees, licenses or years of experience. I've found out over the years that it is often the soft-spoken person that rarely pushes his (or her) thoughts onto others, and even more rarely cites any "qualifications" that is the person that REALLY knows what needs to be done and how to do it. Luckily, we have a number of these people on this board.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I've never seen any post-install testing instructions in DIY books.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I love the work she does with what her father, Danny Thomas , started.

It is really a great thing for children..

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Even though this thread has gone way off topic I think the original post was spot on and information on recalled books as such can only benefit Terry's forum. I want to be kept informed by other tradesman such as threads like these.

Cookie

Reaction score
Kingman,

That is why I suggested having a spot telling about bad books and good books. Kind of like in some video stores a video recommendation, but instead a book recommendation. What do you think? It kind of goes with your idea of citing recalled books, wouldn't you agree?

rgsgww

Reaction score
I have some clue, but not much, about what you people are talking about (the off topic posts) because I'm am alot younger than all of you.

I've read some diy books that I've had for a few years, though I never use them, because I don't have to.

Some of the information is incorrect, and seems to make its way to other books, like "cheater plugs". In the books they say you can use them if you have conduit or bx, problem is, they don't mention bonding strips, what if the bx doesn't have a bonding strip? This creates a hazard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks