Do I remove plaster/drywall spacer before tiling?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by CountryBumkin, Dec 9, 2009.

1. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin New Member

My Moen "single handle exacttemp 3/4 inch thermostatic valve" has a plastic ring (I belive) called a plaster or drywall ring for setting the depth of the valve below the drywall/plaster/CBU etc. I used the ring to install the valve in the wall then removed it. The instructions (picturers really) from Moen don't clearly show removing or leaving the plastic piece in place.
    Does this ring serve anyother purpose besides setting the valve depth in the wall? It seems like it would block servicing of the valve if it is left in place - so I removed it.
    Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It should be removed when ready to install the trim.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

ring

Leave it on until AFTER the tile is complete. Its purpose is so you leave the proper sized opening in the tile to work on the valve. ONLY remove it when you are ready to install the final parts of the faucet.
  4. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin New Member

Just posting back to say Thanks for your help.