Do I Need To Replace This Pipe Soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY420

Reaction score
Hi.

I've received conflicting advice about the need to replace a residential water supply line pipe that shows signs of corrosion. It's pictured below.

Does this pipe reasonably need replacing now or soon? Could the pipe corrosion be leaching into the water?

TIA for your thoughts.

PS Does the fact that it's the shut-off valve (to one unit in a 30-unit complex) piece affect when to change it out?

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
For it to rust, iron would have to be present. If the iron is in the bronze casting as it appears to be, it would be a defect in the casting.
Iron is not magically formed when sweating valves and fittings.

MKS

Reaction score
For what is worth my friends union connection to the hot water heater has a similar round orangish stain like yours. I have checked for water leaks none. Checked for exhaust leak while the water heater is on none. It has been there at least 15 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks