Do I Need to Replace this Cast Iron Flange?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by GSWHoopla, Nov 21, 2010.

1. GSWHoopla

GSWHoopla New Member

Hello, thanks for your time, I'm a new homeowner, and new to plumbing.

One of our toilets was not secured properly to the floor, so I went to replace the closet flange... when I grasped the toilet and gently pushed/pulled, I noticed that the mounting bolts were loose, such that they actually pulled right up with the toilet (without removing the nuts!). They seem to just have been sitting, floating in the wax seal. Once I set the old toilet outside, I inspected the flange. It was a goopy mess of wax, the rubber ring from the wax seal, some rust, and some decay. I spent quite some time cleaning away at it, excavating like an archaeologist :)

Anyway, this is what I have uncovered (please click the thumbnail, then click again on the magnifying glass to see a full screen image):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically I just want to seal and secure a toilet to this drain. Do I need to remove and replace this old cast iron flange, or can I somehow go over the top of it with a "Super Flange" or other such device?

Thanks!
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

From what I can see in the pictures the flange looks fine. If it is not loose on the pipe I would just reset the toilet.

John
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I agree with John; get a new bolt kit and a wax seal and you should be golden.
  4. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

If anything it looks a bit low, you could get a flange extention kit and raise it so that its at the correct height, aprox 1/4" above the floor.

Attached Files:

5. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

you need to anchor the flange to the floor. From the looks of the flage some wood screws with washers should work.
  6. GSWHoopla

GSWHoopla New Member

Thank you all for your kind (and fast!) help.

The flange appears to be very solid. I assume it is attached securely to the pipe (or is it part of the pipe itself, or is it screwed onto the pipe, or...?). I had to chip away the grout around the flange. The old fasteners in the screw holes were rusted through and just fell apart, and the wood underneath (when I poke around in the screwholes with a screwdriver) seems a bit decayed and whatnot, but I assume driving new fasteners through whatever underlayment is there, and clean through the subfloor, should do it. Do they have to be flathead, and driven so they are at least flush with the top of the flange?

Also, the iron flange is indeed below the surface of the tile floor. It's not quiet even though. The flange is about 1/2 inch below the floor line, give or take 1/8 inch in some places. The top of the pipe is about 1/4 to 3/8 below the floor (roughly).

So, given this, should I just buy a "super flange" at home depot, or an extender, and then put the wax seal, or should I try to just re-use only the current iron flange?

Thanks for the advice. As far as a bolt kit, I'm not sure how to use it. How to I get the bolts to anchor/fasten securely to this cast iron flange? The crevices under the screwholes have a little bit of decay and rotting wood., if that is important...

Thanks!