Do I Need to replace the wire to my submerged well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

wah64apache

Reaction score
Hello All;
Thank you for any help you can offer.
My situation:
My well pump expired. The well pump is approximately 900' feet down, it was drilled around 1992 and has had numerous pumps replaced over the years. The metal pipes are very corroded so we are going to replace them with the new PVC type pipes. When the well pipes and wire were pulled from the ground the pump and wires looked good. The stainless steel of the pump was a bit dirty but wiped up clean. It is about 5 years old. No issues there.
When the splices at the pump were separated I was told there was moisture at the wire ends. When I checked them by trimming the ends about four inches I could not find and corrosion about the very end where it was in the splice. The wire looked clean and shiny when scaped with the knife while removing the coating. It is a 4 wire, 6 guage for a 2 HP pump. I don't know the age of the wire but it could be the original.
My question: Do I need to replace over $3000 dollars of wire for this issue?

I trust my well man but there are other folks on this well that may not have the additional $ cost.
Cheers

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Roll the wire up, keeping both ends together, and drop everything except the two ends in a water trough, pool, or other hole filled with water. Use a megohm meter to test for a short to ground from all the wire ends. If it doesn’t show a short, I would put it right back in the well.

I really don’t think you can use PVC pipe to 900’. I don’t have my books with me to check but that seems deeper than you should run PVC.

wah64apache

Reaction score
Thank you. I believe we are only going to use the PVC for the upper 500'
Appreciate your quick response. Now to find a Mega OHM meter!

Roll the wire up, keeping both ends together, and drop everything except the two ends in a water trough, pool, or other hole filled with water. Use a megohm meter to test for a short to ground from all the wire ends. If it doesn’t show a short, I would put it right back in the well.

I really don’t think you can use PVC pipe to 900’. I don’t have my books with me to check but that seems deeper than you should run PVC.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, you can't use PVC at all. It doesn't matter if it's the last 500' because it's still taking all the weight.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Only 5 years old? What caused the pump to fail?

If you put PVC in that well you better have some good fishing tools cause you're gonna need them! But any qualified pump/well guy should know that.

If you're really concerned about corroded pipe go for stainless steel, sure it's expensive but you only spend the money once.

Trying to handle 900' of wire is going to be tough unless it was rolled up on a reel as it came out. If we have ANY doubt about the wire we change it. As many times as that wire has been in and out, I'd change it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks