Do I need to increase hose diameter for a longer than "normal" run?

Users who are viewing this thread

JaxPlanet

Reaction score
I am installing a reverse osmosis system (50-gal model at www.diyreverseosmosis.com). I cannot spare space near the sink so I have to have it in my laundry room which is approximately 17' away, as the hose lies. All connections are 1/4" OD hose compression fittings. I have public water not a well.

The instructions state that runs longer than 10' from the pressure tank to the faucet require 3/8" OD hose to prevent a pressure drop. As I said above, the distance is 17' and I will add that the tank is 3' higher than the faucet. Does this increase in hose size make sense?

If you agree with increasing the hose size, I am still stuck with 1/4" fittings on both ends. Do these "bottle necks" negate the benefit of the larger hose?

I appreciate anything you can add to help me through this job.

Thank you in advance!
Jax

JRC3

Reaction score
You want the 3/8 even though it steps back down to 1/4 at the end. It's all about friction loss in the middle. My RO steps up to 3/8 to run from the laundry to the kitchen and I can't imagine the trickle I'd get without the 3/8. Even with my RO booster pump increasing my well pressure well above city pressure.

JaxPlanet

Reaction score
You want the 3/8 even though it steps back down to 1/4 at the end. It's all about friction loss in the middle. My RO steps up to 3/8 to run from the laundry to the kitchen and I can't imagine the trickle I'd get without the 3/8. Even with my RO booster pump increasing my well pressure well above city pressure.
Thank you for your quick and clear reply! That is exactly what I needed to know.

I am having difficulty selecting the correct 3/8" to 1/4" coupling and 3/8" hose. My system included 1/4" "food grade piping" so I have that end covered.

What would you recommend?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Exactly correct. Frictional losses are key. You could try the 1/4" through and see if it is acceptable but the performance will be greatly increased with the use of 3/8" as much as possible on the run.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks