Do I need to extend cleanout above floor?

Discussion in 'UPC Plumbing Code Questions' started by steve-c, May 2, 2012.

1. steve-c

steve-c New Member

Hi - We're building our own house and I'm doing the plumbing, UPC is the code here. The drain line (3") runs 22 feet in a straight line from the end to where it exits the foundation. According to my code booklet, since the distance is >20 feet, I need to extend the cleanout outside (not possible) or up above floor level (no good place for it there). My question is this: can I avoid extending the cleanout to the floor level if I put a 2-way cleanout at the exterior end of the drain line?
    Thanks for any help on this. If I had the money I'd hire a real plumber...
    Steve
  2. kreemoweet

kreemoweet Member

Not too sure what you're asking here: an "approved" exterior 2-way cleanout, extended to grade, can substitute for the otherwise required upper terminal C/O, but that's not
    such a good idea, I think. The only 20-ft rule I know of is a maximum distance of underfloor C/O opening from access hatch, crawl hatch, etc.
  3. steve-c

steve-c New Member

Thanks for your reply. The end of the run is 22 feet from the crawl access. The way I read it my options are to either extend the pipe outside or up to floor level. Running it outside would be a big big job and there's no good place to hide a cleanout cover in the floor above. If I can get away with a 2-way cleanout at the outside edge of the foundation where the pipe exits that would be good. The pipe is only a foot or so below grade there so it'd be easy to use.
    Steve