Do I need a water softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

crombienator

Reaction score
I recently had my water tested and was found to have a moderate iron and low sulphur content. This was being controlled by an outdated water softener. Since I had a water softener I had assumed that I had hard water. The water tester informed me that my water "wasn't that hard" and that the softener was more likely being used for the iron.
He did a hardness test and came back with 135-145ppm. He said thats not really that hard. I also did one with a Hatch (because I am anal) and got the same readings. According to charts I found through research that qualifies as moderate to hard water. Most information I found about when to use a softener peoples numbers we're WAY higher.
I installed a fleck system for my iron and sulphur and removed the old softener. I have noticed a difference in the feel of the water since doing so. Would it behoove me to put in a softener to further polish the water? Is my water hard or am I overreacting? Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
You have over 8 grains of hardness. Some tankless water heaters would void the water if you used that through their heater. Your water is hard but not very hard.

So 8 grains is not intolerable, but a softener is still better. You are not overreacting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grains_per_gallon

Bannerman

Reaction score
Technically. water with 1 grain per gallon or above is considered hard, but it comes down to what you can tolerate. Anyone with hardness over 3 gpg will benefit with a softener.

Never previously having had a softener, upon moving to a small town, we tolerated 22+ gpg town water for numerous years. Upon installing a dishwasher and having almost everything turn white, we installed a softener which immediately resolved the dish-washing issue. We have since come to appreciate that we could now never be without a softener if our water contained any but the lowest amount of hardness.

Having grown-up using L Ontario water, we sometimes stay with relatives and shower using that water (8 gpg) and find that we do not feel clean but feel quite sticky. Soap and shampoo will not lather as they should so considerably more will be used and white laundry items will tend to become more grey and stiff over time.

I had previously needed to de-scale our electric kettle every 6-8 weeks. Since installing the softener and an R/O system in 1998, I have not since needed to de-scale this same kettle and it continues to be completely clear of any build-up even when used on a daily basis.

Last edited:

crombienator

Reaction score
Technically. water with 1 grain per gallon or above is considered hard, but it comes down to what you can tolerate. Anyone with hardness over 3 gpg will benefit with a softener.

Never previously having had a softener, upon moving to a small town, we tolerated 22+ gpg town water for numerous years. Upon installing a dishwasher and having almost everything turn white, we installed a softener which immediately resolved the dish-washing issue. We have since come to appreciate that we could now never be without a softener if our water contained any but the lowest amount of hardness.

Having grown-up using L Ontario water, we sometimes stay with relatives and shower using that water (8 gpg) and find that we do not feel clean but feel quite sticky. Soap and shampoo will not lather as they should so considerably more will be used and white laundry items will tend to become more grey and stiff over time.

I had previously needed to de-scale our electric kettle every 6-8 weeks. Since installing the softener and an R/O system in 1998, I have not since needed to de-scale this same kettle and it continues to be completely clear of any build-up even when used on a daily basis.

Ok. Cool

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks