Do I need a pump shroud?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by grizz, Jun 1, 2012.

1. grizz

grizz New Member

Hi, I was told I'm going to need a pump shroud but I'm running into problems here. The well is on another property so I can't physically see it right now, but my paper work says the diameter is 4 1/2"(doesn't specify ID or OD so I'm not sure of the true ID). I have a 1.5hp pump that is 3 3/4" (95mm) in diameter. It will be going into a 365ft well, water level is at 305ft where the perforations are. The well is rated at 10 GPM. pump is rated for 8 GPM at 350ft. Ok so the problem I'm running into is I have a green pvc pipe that has a 3 7/8" ID and a 4" OD. That would leave about a 1/16" gap all around, is that enough of a gap? Is my green pvc pipe the 100# 4" thin walled sewer pipe that is recommended to make these shrouds? Do I even need a shroud for a 4 1/2" well? Any help would be great, thanks.
  2. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

In your case I don't see the need for a shroud!
  3. grizz

grizz New Member

Thanks for the reply! Could you please tell me why I don't need one? The company I bought the pump from told me I would need a pump shroud, and the other fact that it would be top feeding so water wouldn't be running by the motor.
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

1/16” clearance will easily let that much water past. But it is a tight fit in the casing which maybe a problem. A motor in a top feeding well would greatly benefit from a shroud, but you may not have a choice. Franklin says their motors have been shortened up so much that a shroud is not needed for 2 HP or smaller. They say there will still be enough circulation around the motor, even in a top feeding well. Of course they like to sell motors so I still use a shroud anytime I can.

I think you will still be better off with a 4” pump and no shroud than a 3” pump with a shroud. One thing you can do is to de-rate the motor. By using a 2 HP motor on the 1.5 HP pump, the motor is de-rated and will run cooler. This helps when pumping hot water or a shroud is not possible.
  5. grizz

grizz New Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me, looks like I will just go without a shroud for now.