Do I need a flange extender

Users who are viewing this thread

Dom Z

Reaction score
I just completed tiling my bathroom floor. However, now the top of toilet flange is level with the top of the tile.
Do I need to install a flange extender or will a single plan wax ring work?

The toilet I'm installing is a neorest 500 it came with an odd adapter that installs onto the flange and screws to the floor.

Dom Z

Reaction score
How much does it have to squish? It looks like it'll go about 1/2 inch. Or should I maybe use a fatter wax ring to be safe?
Can I stack 2 wax ring together?

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Like Terry said, just needs to squish all the way around the flange. Yes, you can use a thicker wax ring, or 2 wax rings - but probably don't need to from what you've described.

Do avoid the use of wax rings with a plastic horn or funnel - these have been known to cause restrictions.

The Toto "UniFit" system you are using is really a neat way to install a toilet. If you ever want to pull the toilet for some reason (like to paint/paper behind it), it's very easy and you don't need to replace a wax ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks