Do I need a flange extender in my situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee Moreau

Reaction score
Searched a lot on this but figure I'll post just to be on the safe side. I just redid the floor in the bathroom at a condo I own. The sub floor is solid concrete, and there was porcelain or ceramic tile on top of it. I removed all the tile, and the round flange is sitting on top of the concrete sub floor, so it's not flush with it. The tiles I removed were standard size, not sure how tall, but the new ones that I put down and all around the flange are 10mm thick. They are thicker than the old ones by maybe 1/8 inch. I'm not there right now so can't measure, but one thing I noticed is that the flange is definitely lower than the tiles around it. Not by much, maybe 1/4 inch or less but not any more than that. The reason I ask is because most of the flange extension kits start at 1/4 inch and then go 1/2 and larger. So just wondering, if the distance is less than 1/4 inch and is say 1/8, is it better to leave it as is and be a touch short? Or is it better to use a 1/4 inch flange extension kit even if that means it may potentially make the flange 1/8 inch higher than the tiles?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Searched a lot on this but figure I'll post just to be on the safe side. I just redid the floor in the bathroom at a condo I own. The sub floor is solid concrete, and there was porcelain or ceramic tile on top of it. I removed all the tile, and the round flange is sitting on top of the concrete sub floor, so it's not flush with it. The tiles I removed were standard size, not sure how tall, but the new ones that I put down and all around the flange are 10mm thick. They are thicker than the old ones by maybe 1/8 inch. I'm not there right now so can't measure, but one thing I noticed is that the flange is definitely lower than the tiles around it. Not by much, maybe 1/4 inch or less but not any more than that. The reason I ask is because most of the flange extension kits start at 1/4 inch and then go 1/2 and larger. So just wondering, if the distance is less than 1/4 inch and is say 1/8, is it better to leave it as is and be a touch short? Or is it better to use a 1/4 inch flange extension kit even if that means it may potentially make the flange 1/8 inch higher than the tiles?

Just a point of explanation as Cacher_Chick is dead on about how to handle it.

The flange is supposed to sit on top of the finished floor, so it would normally extend well above the finished floor. It is NOT supposed to have its top flush with the top of the finished floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks