Do I have to replace this pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

SusieQ

Reaction score
I think I opened up a can of worms. Got the old garbage disposal out, and I was getting ready to put the new one in. Then I took a look at this pipe or whatever it's called, an extension?
Yuk, yuk, and more yuk.

susieq-01.jpg

susieq-02.jpg

This is what was attached to it, that goes into the garbage disposal.

susieq-03.jpg

If I have to put new ones in should I just unscrew it and bring it to the store and get the same thing? Or should I replace everything with PVC?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That portion of pipe is called a pipe nipple. 1-1/2" in size. If you can unthread it, then it can be replaced. Either galvanized or plastic.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes. The nipple is completely "shot". The way the trap is assembled, because the drain in the wall is too high for the disposer, will probably clause problems when you try to put it back together.

Reach4

Reaction score
Now is your chance to use your big pipe wrench. Rotate CCW toward the movable jaw.

SusieQ

Reaction score
It wont come out :(

If I do get it out somehow, I can replace those other pipes with plastic too? And if I use plastic, should I use teflon tape? Or just nothing?

p.s You guys rock, just in case you didn't know it :)

SusieQ

Reaction score
Ugh, reading other threads, I have to saw it off, then chisel out what's left? Or... get another larger pipe wrench to hold the iron pipe then use the pipe wrench I have to turn the other galvanized (?) nipple?

Jeez, Louise, I should have just called a plumber. On the other hand, once I learn this stuff, I can do it again.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Wrench will be underneath the nipple. Lift the end of the handle as best you can. If you had a piece of pipe big enough to go over the end of the handle of the wrench, you could increase leverage. If you had two people, one could press down on the part the nipple screws into while the other person lifted up. I don't know how much force it takes to break something. A chisel is not the answer.

Alternately, put the handle of the wrench down, and have the opening toward you. Pull the end toward you. You may get better leverage that way.

A plumber may be the best answer.

If you use a plastic nipple, yes, still use teflon.

SusieQ

Reaction score
Woot! I used elbow grease. Got that puppy! Now off to get another nipple and the p-trap! Thanks, guys.

SusieQ

Reaction score
I got as much gack off of it as I could, should I use a wire brush or something to get the rest off?

susieq-04.jpg

SusieQ

Reaction score
:) :) :) That means a lot to me, Terry! I'm going to the plumbing supply store. I'll see if they have anything like the stuff you use that isn't fifty dollars! Why do you need to use it on the litter box? I just use a scrub brush and rubber gloves. Your cats must have some industrial strength pee.

SusieQ

Reaction score
Speaking of enzymes... maybe I could just pour some of this stuff in. By the way, this stuff is amazing. Darn I wish I could get these smaller.

susieq-05.jpg

http://www.mistermax.com/

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
:) :) :) That means a lot to me, Terry! I'm going to the plumbing supply store. I'll see if they have anything like the stuff you use that isn't fifty dollars! Why do you need to use it on the litter box? I just use a scrub brush and rubber gloves. Your cats must have some industrial strength pee.

It just knocks down the smell for a long time. I don't smell that I have a cat in the house, which is nice. :)

SusieQ

Reaction score
I can't get this locknut off :(. This was leaking so I wanted to replace the washer. So far I tried WD40 and heating it with a hairdryer. Do you guys know how? Well I know you do, but will you pretty please tell me how?

susieq-06.jpg

susieq-07.jpg

susieq-08.jpg

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Based on your pic, you're tightening the nut rather than loosening it. A pipe wrench will work better than channel locks.

SusieQ

Reaction score
I tried a pipe wrench. Loosey lefty :( . That was just a photo, I wasn't turning it that way.
Happy 4th!

SusieQ

Reaction score
Woot! Yay! Woot! Wanted to let you guys know what happened. I had that pipe that was jammed the heck in. No getting it out. Got a new piece of plastic pipe.
new pipe from home depot.jpg

Put on the plastic pipe.JPG

Couldn't quite screw the metal p-trap onto the plastic, so I used a little pipe dope, hope that's okay on plastic pipes. I tried to prop that puppy up on a box. I tried everything in the entire planet. Well, at least in my house. Nothing worked.
I tried to use a box to lift it.JPG

Finally, ding ding ding ding ding. I remembered Reach4 joked with me about using a car jack to lift it. Perfect. It worked.
Used a jack to lift it.JPG

Finished! Kitties came over to check it out.
Kitties checking it out.JPG

Kitty said "She really did it? I'm shocked."
He is amazed that I could do it.JPG

Last edited:

Presence

Reaction score
susieq-04.jpg

My inclination for these situations is 3/4 fitting brush (for copper fittings); I cut the handle off and attach to a drill. Then when I apply thread sealant I do so to both male and female threads.

Regarding this situation:

susieq-02.jpg

I have to saw it off, then chisel out what's left?

Had it gotten "crushed" when attempting to remove the nipple... your next best solution is to cut it off flush with a reciprocating saw and use a

Walton 50008 #8 Pipe (1 1/2 NPT) Extractor

easyout-15.jpg

PlumberJeff

Mister Plumber
Reaction score
I know you're happy to have it in and working, *but* (and I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned) the white PVC piece in your trap isn't necessary and slows down the flow. Not critical, but it looks like you might be able to remove it, and move the trap up higher where it belongs. Check it out.

sink_dw.jpg

sink_dw_hot.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks