Do I have the proper thinsets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Freddie

Reaction score
Floor tile: 12” x 24” porcelain tile
Patch floor spaces between plywood, caulk around perimeter of wall, dam around drain holes in floor and at door to bathroom.
Install floor heating.
Apply primer to floor and then self level flooring to cover floor heating.
Use a non-modified thinset on top to attach Ditra.
Use non-modified thinset to attach Kerdi-band to seal between Ditra joints.
Use non-modified thinset to attach porcelain tiles.

Wall tile: 12” x 24” porcelain Tile with water resistant drywall. (outside of shower)
Use modified thinset to attach tiles.

Wall tile: 12” x 24” porcelain Tile with Densshield backerboard is shower.
Use non-modified thinset to attach tiles.

Wall tile: Mosaic tile of glass and aluminum on Densshield backerboard in shower.
Use “white” modified thinset to attach tiles.

The above is all based on the following:
Modified thinset needs to be able to dry so with large tiles and waterproof backing I've used non-modified thinset in those cases.
Used modified thinset for the for the large tiles on the water resistant drywall as it will be able to dry through the drywall and a bit via the grout.
Used modified thinset for the smaller mosaic tiles as there is more room for the thinset to dry via the grout.

Does this seem to make sense?

Also planning to use all Mapei products. I think these are good but not necessarily the best.

Freddie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks