Do GFCI Outlets Need a Ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The only place I use a GFCI is on outdoor outlets. With a Ground connected. And I use a 3 conductor extension cord...
When I was building my house I used the tools both indoors and out. Indoors I have GFCIs in the bathrooms and laundry room. These days I only use the tools with outdoor outlets. For some reason the wife gets upset if I use the tools inside. Well at least the ones that make noise and sawdust.

As for 3 conductor extension cords, can you even buy them with just two? Anyway, it matters not when you use double-insulated tools that are only two prong. Still, JWE will argue that there is current leakage to ground even if the tool is ungrounded and there is no path between the tool and ground.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I have said, there are lots of places in your home where you can become part of an electrical supply circuit! Plumbing (unless it is plastic), the other leg of the transformer, and to the actual earth's surface, maybe your cable box, some other faulty device, even if it is plugged into a ground, etc. All the GFCI is doing is measuring power in verses power out. They must be the same. Where it leaked, it doesn't care. It does not have to be via a ground wire IN the GFCI device. If somehow you create a parallel path for that current, not all of it will be returning on the neutral, and the thing will trip (when it is >5ma). All the ground wire IN the device does is aid in tripping the CB or fuse back at the box if there is a major overcurrent fault in the device and that only happens when the neutral wire has somewhat become compromised, otherwise, that current is carried by the 'normal' pair of hot/neutral.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It is best to have a Ground Connected.

That is what the NEC wants and that should be what you have.

You can argue all day long about if it helps to have a ground.

It sure does not hurt. That is why the outlet has a Ground Connection. It was not left over parts.

We sure could save a lot of copper wire by deleting the ground wire and installing GFCIs instead.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is best to have a Ground Connected.

That is what the NEC wants and that should be what you have.

You can argue all day long about if it helps to have a ground.

It sure does not hurt. That is why the outlet has a Ground Connection. It was not left over parts.

We sure could save a lot of copper wire by deleting the ground wire and installing GFCIs instead.
On NEW construction you MUST use a ground. It is where you have a retrofit where it is allowed to REPLACE a receptacle with a GFCI (and those powered by it) with grounded receptacles as long as you label them properly. One shouldn't argue if NEW construction should have the ground...it MUST if you want it to pass code. But, the ground does not make the GFCI work better since it doesn't look at it in the first place. It makes the SYSTEM safer, which includes the wiring in the wall, but the GFCI makes the whole thing safer for the USER, whether there is a ground there or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks