Do all metal boxes need screw-in clamps?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Verdeboy, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Jun 12, 2006
    I spent about $8.00 on a metal ceiling fan box, but it didn't come with any screw-in clamps. Does that mean it is not required, or do I have to supply my own? The Romex cable is stapled up to a few inches of the opening in the box.

Is a screw-in clamp required whenever a cable enters or leaves any kind of metal box--be it for a light switch, outlet, light fixture, or junction box?
  2. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

Jun 16, 2007
    Licensed Electrical Contractor
    NY State, USA
    SOME sort of clamp IS required. Whether it be integral to the box or separate.

With a metal box something needs to secure and protect it.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Dec 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY and Fire Island, NY
    Far as I know... yes.

At less than a dollar apiece, why's it matter?

Must be even less, where you are, since you got the fan box for 8 - fan box costs almost 20 up here.

edit: dang, I just answered an electrical question from Eric, didn't I?

5. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Jun 12, 2006
    See, that wasn't so bad. :)

More to come. I like doing electrical stuff. It's nice, clean work (unlike other trades I can think of) and you get to use your brain a lot.
  6. snafflekid

snafflekid Electrical Engineer

Apr 23, 2007
    Electrical Engineer
    did you buy a handybox or something similar that has knockouts for those threaded nipples?
  7. kd

kd New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Most jurisdictions allow the use of plastic grommets, bushings, if you staple within 8 inches of the box.