DIY'er Needs Help with Leaking Drain Pipe!

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by hboogz, Apr 1, 2013.

1. hboogz

hboogz Member

DIY'er Needs Help with Leaking bathtub Drain Pipe!

All

Attached is the latest fun fun fun home repair project. Shower drain pipe is leaking something proper. Needless to say the pipe is shot and I need to replace it. The space is tight, and I'm sure some of you with years of experience worked in worse, but I plan on opening up the space a bit with a recip saw to get some clearance.

The trap doesn't leak but all the couplings look shot. My question is I'm thinking about using ABS -- is that permissible/acceptable? I'm in NY Should i just stick to PVC? Also to confirm, the size of the pipe is 3inches? It looks I need to pickup one of those ridgid pipe cutters that work in tight spaces or is there another recommendation? Any other tips to a fellow ambitious DIY'er would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

ABS vs PVC is often a regional thing..some places offer both, but it is more common to have one or the other. Use whatever you have the best choices in fittings and availability. Shower drains need to be at least 2" by today's code so you need to check what you have. IF it is 1.5", and you can't run new pipe to where it's at least 2", your inspector may allow you to just replace it with 1.5". While some showers may need a 3" drain, those typically have lots of heads and much more flow than a typical shower.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Without some way to make a comparison, it is hard to tell, but I THINK that is 2" pipe, not 3", and it is galvanized with what appears to be a brass "union nut' P trap. NEITHER of them can be cut with a cast iron "snap" cutter, it that is what you mean by a "close quarter cutter". As a matter of fact, neither the pipe nor the trap should be leaking, so WHERE is the water coming from?
  4. hboogz

hboogz Member

Thanks everyone for your reply. The below is the finished product. Turns out the rotted galvanized pipe was 1.5 and the CI was 2" The connection coming from the tub was 1 1/4, which is why i used the bushing shown in the pic. For good measure I changed the fernco rubber coupling connecting the CI to CI. Thoughts ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]