DIY sprinkler system recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

jerry520ever

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a first time home owner in New York and i have an approximately .6 acre turf. For some reason, it doesn't have a sprinkler system and I am planning to install one myself. I have been reading DIY instructions and am eager to start the work this weekend . But i am struggling to find the ideal DIY sprinkler system. So far rainbird, orbit, and lawnbelt all seem reasonable. But i can't decide which system to use even after reading a lot of reviews. My ideal system is as follows and I would love to get some advice on a good DIY sprinkler system.

1. works well with smart sprinkler controller like this one

2. easy to replace parts
3. good quality that last pretty long
3. easy to maintain/winterize the system
4. can efficiently water the curbside grass.
5. ingroud

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1.Irritrol PC controller
2. They are all about equal for this.
3a. Good quality is seldom a feature of an irrigation system.
3b. "easy to maintain" is an oxymoron for an irrigation system, and HOW you install it will determine how easy it is to winterize
4. & 5. That is also a function of how you design and install the system.

Flapper

Reaction score
I also recommend you don't get any jar top valves; they all seem to have problems. Get valves that have the top attached with screws.

Flapper

Reaction score
If you're not sure, then just go ahead and pick one of the correct type that has good reviews, perhaps the cheapest one. I recently was looking for an anti-siphon valve. I found three choices, after excluding jar top and orbit valves: 13$ Lawn Genie, $15 Hunter, and $25 Rain Bird. I picked the Lawn Genie because it was the cheapest and it had a high rating with the most reviews. The Hunter had two very slightly different models on HD's website, one had good reviews and the other didn't, though both models had very few, so it was not accurate, so I had doubts about it. As for the Rain Bird, it looked good but it was expensive, and I didn't think it was worth it because the Lawn Genie had good reviews.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have the system professionally designed. It will save you time and money in the long run, and you will have a system that will work. Installation might be OK for DIY.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks