DIY Pressure Reducing Valve Install Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Danno408

Reaction score
Hi - I have 120 psi supply pressure to my home and no pressure regulator installed. When I turn on both showers and 3 sinks the pressure only drops to 85 then climbs immediately back to 120. I want to try to install the regulator myself as my budget is really tight. I have a very small water meter box in my yard that wont accommodate the regulator to be installed on the downstream side of the meter in the round. My home is on a slab with no crawlspace and the main supply enters the home through a wall in my garage with the first fixture being a garden home spigot.

My question is: is it advisable to install the regulator in the wall cavity before the garden hose spigot? I am thinking of cutting an access panel in the drywall to access the supply pipe and the regulator would be better protected from the elements inside rather than in the ground. Also I was considering using the push on Sharkbite fittings instead of solder. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some people prefer to install the PRV after the tap for their outside faucets. High pressure does put more stress on the faucet's sealing surfaces (often a washer), but as long as you replace those when needed, not usually an issue and higher pressure will let the hose go further when spraying something or trying to rinse something off. Whatever you do, you want the thing to be accessible for future repair/replacement/adjustment. Keep in mind that when installing a PRV, you should also install an expansion tank, as the PRV will create a 'closed' supply system and without one, when the water heater runs, the pressure WILL rise, and potentially cause the safety T&P valve to open to release the excess water pressure.

Sharkbite's do work, but no idea on the quality of their PRV. One disadvantage is that they won't hold the PRV in a fixed position...they can rotate around the pipe, and their gripping spikes will then score the pipe unless you strap things to prevent that.

Themp

Reaction score
Had my water line replaced and the city inspector nixed the PRV after the front and back outside faucets. Had the PRV after the outside faucets for 32 years. Great water pressure for washing the cars and such. Had to go back in and change it after it was a done. The inspector OKed the sprinkler system coming off the main water line before the PRV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks