DIY Cast Iron to PVC project

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
the law sounds like a way to make work....

everywhere else in the country it would be ok to simply
cut the stack below that 4 inch tee and add your wye...

here ....you can
cut out the whole 4 inch stack from the floor up to right below that cast iron tee and change it out
to 4 inch sch 40 pvc pipe...at least in Indiana

you do not want to cut into the arm comming off that tee.
going to the toilet...as I think you were considering doing...

Be Warned that if you cut that verticle stack with a pipe cutter you had better have that cast tee well supported nailed banded 3 or 4 times to the joysts with heavy pipe strappings....

that stack can literally drop or settle down an "quick inch" when you knock out the pipe...with you under it......

that can be a very exciteing moment,
with you life passing by in front of you...

once you put it all back together its not going anywhere
but they worry about the wieght pressing down on the
pvc I suppose.....

I have never seen one sag or come apart yet....

As ....hJ ....mentioned the only risk you are takeing is if
you sell the home someday and some inspector catches it
and makes you pay....dearley

MG

Reaction score
The fear of a 12-14' section of CI stack pipe crashing down in the wall is precisely why I supported mine w/two riser clamps before cutting out the rotted sections in the garage. One in the attic on the ceiling joists that is cross supported with the adjoining joists and 4" lag screws, and another just below the ceiling / floor joist in the garage. I didn't want that thing moving even a fraction of an inch. It took a couple of hours to get it all in place but I felt a lot better about the rest of the project after it was done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks