DIY Again

Users who are viewing this thread

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Well, being asked, if I am pulling your chain is not exactly nice, and implying I am twisting things, too Frenchie. Just not nice.

I was honestly wondering if you were joking.

The fact that many start-ups don't make a salary, when it was you who first raised the issue of couting his hours as salary... It seemed like such an out-of-context issue to raise, that I wasn't sure you were serious.

Sorry if I offended you, that was not my intent. I was honestly asking if you were kidding around.

Cookie

Reaction score
Frenchie,

Please reread some of your posts from the start.
I got to run now, and make money, :D

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Frenchie,

Please reread some of your posts from the start.

I have. Three times. You might want to do the same with Dave's posts.

No problem, I can sit here all day & type the same response over & over :D

Cute, Dave. Very cute.

Obviously, it's pointless trying to get actual information out of you - you just wants to boast, not explain. And now, it appears, you're just out to taunt me.

Fine. Boast away, Dave - feel good about yourself. I've got better things to do than trying to salvage anything useful to anyone out of this non-discussion.

I'm sorry but the hours are irrelevant to the question of how much I saved VS hiring someone

No, it's not. But that's okay, you've succeeded in making me not care.

Congratulations. You win.

TedL

Reaction score
A few thoughts from an accounting perspective:

Opportunity costs (the other things one could have done with hours spent on something) are not recognized costs. They most certainly should be part of the decision making/planning, but they don't get recorded as costs.

Some people, myself included, are prohibited by employment contracts or laws from engaging in the practice of their profession other than for their employer. As an overtime ineligible manager, my salary is fixed and cannot be increased by working additional hours. I cannot get a second job or moonlight in my profession. I could flip burgers or don a red or orange apron, as there would be no conflict of interest. Then I would pay taxes of 40% on my $10 or so per hour, before turning it over to a contractor. So, I'd be working 10 hrs or so in one of the boxes to pay for an hour or so of pro time. The fact is, my day job is 100% mind work; it's a welcome break to do things with my hands.

Overall, taxes create a tremendous, if often overlooked, incentive to be self sufficient. If Al gets paid for painting a room in Bob's house, and Bob gets paid to mow Al's lawn, easily half the money exchanged could (or, rather, tax codes say should) go for taxes, at least in NYS. (8% sales tax; 15% federal self employment tax; 7% state income tax; 25% federal income tax; some added on to payment; some deductible when computing others). So, even if each gets paid the same, one has to work 2 hours to be able to purchase one hour of the other's time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think something is missing here. Working for yourself on your own home may truely not be a "cost" if during that time you would have no incling, plan, or intent of spending that time in some other profit generating endeavor. That fact that you COULD be spending that time earning money, really is somewhat irrelevant if you WOULDN'T do it. So, if I (or anyone else) chooses to use part of my non-wage earning time to do something on my house that otherwise would require paying someone to do, since the money pool is only based on what I earn, and I wouldn't earn it instead of working on the house, it is indeed a savings in out-of-pocket expenses. Now, whether that is a prudent thing to do, or the fact that a pro would be able to do it faster and maybe better (subjective evaluation, depending on the task and the skill of the person doing the work) is somewhat irrelevant if that's what I want to do.

Now, if I give up time I WOULD or SHOULD be working at my normal paying job, then it truely has a bottom line cost, and depending on what you are being paid (or earn), may or may not be cost effective.

Do you figure the cost of taking a vacation as the total of what you paid to do it plus what it cost you in time not working? Say you can earn $5k in a week, and you spend $5k on the vacation, did it really cost you $10K? If you'd decided you weren't going to work that week because you needed a vacation and wouldn't have worked anyway, does that change the bottom line cost to that $10K? Depends on how you look at it, the same as doing work on your own house...

Slow down and smell the roses...

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
You can keep arguing this till the cows come home, your not going to get everyone to agree on what was made. Why keep it up? He apparently enjoys what he does. So whats the BIG deal? This debating about his profit is not why I started this thread. Give it a break!

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Quite capable of doing ALL that work myself thanks

One of the pics from when we 1st bought the house

Dormerstart.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Of course the wife was bummed as she lost the 2 windows in the kitchen that face West. But when I remodel the kitchen the sink will face the back yard & the sunroom is already open to the kitchen

Kitchenwindows.jpg

The brown cabinets are Temp until I'm ready to put the radiant heat floor down

DSCF4281.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks