DIY Advice for seized hot faucet in tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

canwill

Reaction score
Hey all

I have a seized hot water faucet in my shower.

It was leaking for about 4 months but I could still shower. About 5 or 6 days ago it seized completely.

I tried removing the cartridge
but it too was stuck (not just opening the faucethe for hot water...which stopped too).

I then tried with PB Blaster penetrating lubricant and a combination wrench after letting the lube sink in over 24 hrs but it's not moving one bit.

Both pulling it out of the pipe and opening up the faucet are seized entirely.

Do I need to hire a plumber to knock into the wall and cut the pipe? Any last suggestions?

thanks for reading.

canwill

Reaction score
Can you post a picture 800 pixels or less?

Sure can!

Please see below:
2015-02-10 04.15.42.jpg

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Shine a flashlight into the hole and see if the threaded section is part of the valve body or if it's part of the stem. This one's unfamiliar to me. If you see a hexagonal section at the juncture of the stem and body, you may need to get a tool deeper into the wall to remove and replace the stem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks