Ditra Usage

Users who are viewing this thread

essjay

Reaction score
I have some leftover Ditra from an earlier tile job. I am doing an entryway with a floating floor and was wondering if the Ditra could be used as an underlayment/height riser under this type of flooring. It raises the floor perfectly to the height of the existing solid hardwood floor. Searched around the web and could not find any documented use like this. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not a good idea as the vertical support is designed to be the thinset that fills the pockets in the material. Now, if you wanted to fill those with thinset before installing your slip sheet (most floating floors have a slip sheet), then the floating floor, it would work, but it's probably not worth the time. Essentially, if used in this manner, you have to fill the pockets with something incompressible, and it was designed to have thinset there - the plastic, by itself, is not strong enough.

essjay

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. In pricing underlayment the stuff is damn expensive - and I only require 28 sq ft of it. Looks like the extra effort to fill the pockets does nott sound like too bad an idea. Have some extra thinset too. All thats required is my time - cheap enough :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks