Distance from tub outlet to P-trap

Users who are viewing this thread

dnblknp

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am working on design for a bathroom remodel in a high-rise residential condo in San Francisco and our client would like to add a freestanding soaking tub to the master bathroom. Cutting/coring an opening in the slab is not an option due to restrictions from the building, so we are trying to find creative ways to add a tub without any work below the floor slab.

There is an existing tub in the adjacent guest bathroom that we are converting into a walk-in shower, so we would like to know if it is feasible to drain the NEW master tub into the existing guest tub drain, and then raise up the NEW guest shower pan above all of that. We would then rough-in a new trap and trap arm over to the sewer riser above the floor slab for the walk-in shower.

My concern is that there would be about a 6' distance from the new master tub fixture outlet to the existing guest tub trap. Is this a code violation? If so, what part of the code is this violating?

See attached pdf for some sketches.

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• SK-2 - Cropped.pdf
    141.1 KB · Views: 656

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Uhhh yup. Opened the PDF. There's more to question here than just the tub/shower. Probably not going to get the answers required for this remodel from an online forum.

Last edited:

dnblknp

Reaction score
Very much appreciate your replies. Our design/build plumbing contractor is on vacation and I'm trying to move the design along to stay on schedule, but this option seems to be a dead end.

And you are right, Cool Blue; adding a soaking tub to this unit is not at all cost effective. The owner bought this unit mostly for the location and the view, so I guess a little bit of wonky plumbing is worth the headache!

Thanks all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks