Distance From Meter to Disconnect

Users who are viewing this thread

TJanak

Reaction score
I plan on building a new metal building in the same location after I tear down my current poorly constructed wooden shed. Right now there is a meter on a POCO pole with a small panel that has about 5 spaces (100 amp?) below the meter. The pole is within 2' of a wall on the current and future building. In the new shop I want to upgrade to 200 amp service. Do I need to have a disconnect on the pole below the meter or can I install an interior panel inside the building with 200 amp disconnect and the appropriate conductors in conduit from the meter, run along the outside of the building and enter through the wall at my interior panel? If so, is there a maximum distance or is it just based on conductor size?

Been a while since I've been on here so it's good to visit. Finished the house remodel a while back and now it's time for a shop.

Thanks,
Travis

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
A visit to your local power company and electrical inspectors office is the place to start this journey you are about to embark upon. Some places, like where I live, require a disconnect outside others allow them to be inside.

TJanak

Reaction score
Stopped by and visited with my friendly co-op power provider. They said anything after the meter is my property and they don't care what I do with it or how I do it. They will come pull the meter when I ask and then come put it back in when I ask. (Dad used to pull his to replace main breaker, etc. but now with the wireless meter transmission they would know that I did it and frown upon it I'm sure). By the way, out of city limits so no codes there.

I guess I would just need to follow NEC guidelines then. Picked up a used 200 amp disconnect interior panel this afternoon for $60. Guess I need to read NEC.

PatrickH

Reaction score
May want to check with whether the current service drop is large enough to accommodate your new panel. If not then you could install a new meter on the outside wall of the building opposite your new panel and install a new point of attachment above the meter. Get rid of the meter on the pole arrangement all together! Or maybe even get rid of the pole!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks