Distance between toilet tank and wall vary for 2 toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

ken.yong

Reaction score
My plumber just installed 2 toilets in 2 different bathrooms. Same model from Toto Unifit. However, the first one has a distance between the wall and the toilet tank of 1 1/8"-1 1/4" and the second one has a distance of 3/4" only! Is there something wrong with this?

Is there anything I can do to adjust the distance from 1 1/8" to to 3/4"? I can't move my rough-in.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The same problem exists with toilets that do not use the Unifit adapter. You're pretty much stuck with what you have.

ken.yong

Reaction score
I have been searching the internet, trying to look for a solution and found the following:

Response on Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:36 am by massplumber2008 suggested ["SCOOT" the toilet back just slightly to minimize the distance from the tank to the wall]. Is this a feasible solution? Will the toilet eventually leak because of this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can sometimes "gain" a quarter of an inch or so, but that's about all. I really don't think there is a viable solution to this "problem", and frankly, it's only a problem in your mind. I know it seems like a big deal right now, but no one but you will ever notice it, and you will soon forget about it and find something else to worry about.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ken,
The plumber installs a drain in the floor, and then the toilet is set on that.
Like Gary above mentioned, you might be able to shift it 1/4"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of your toilets has the flange set pretty much exactly at 12", the other one is sitting further away from the wall. The UniFIt adapters come in 2" increments, and nominally have 3/4" behind them when the flange is exactly at 10, 12, or 14" and you use the appropriate adapter. You don't have enough room to go to the next adapter. So, unless you can get the plumber to move the flange, that's it (other than the slight gain potentially possible by shifting the adapter). Note to move the adapter, he'd have to drill 4 new holes in the floor, and that can be a problem in itself. I don't thing the holes in the adapter are big enough to slide it, and anyway, if you move it, you have to remove it to replace the wax ring. Different toilets will have various space behind the tank - what you have isn't a big deal in most cases.

Bcdudley

Reaction score
If the wall behind it is a small area and you are really concerned about it, hang a new piece of drywall over the existing wall. That will make up the difference and may be easier than moving the drain on the floor. Drywall is usually about 1/2" thick so it would make up the difference.

ken.yong

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the replies!

One last question: Is there any way to check/test if the toilets are installed correctly? Currently there is no water leaking from the base after I flush. Is this a sign that the toilet is installed correctly? Or do I have to wait longer? Or any other tests that I can use to check?

Thanks again.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
About the only checks are pretty simple. Is the toilet resting on the floor all the way around? Is is solid...not wobble or rocking? There should be no leaks from the tank to bowl connect (two piece only) and no leaks from the water supply line. The only place you can't see is the connect to the flange, but if the flanges is at the proper height or very close to it, and the wax ring needed to be compressed when the toilet was set, you have to have faith that it won't leak there. I've never installed a Unifit adapter, but assuming the installation instructions were followed, it's not likely to be a problem. I think you're good to go. Pun intended.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks