Distance between plumbing vent and bathroom van exhaust

Users who are viewing this thread

lojoma

Reaction score
Is there a minimum distance between where the sink vent goes through the roof and where a bath fan exhaust goes through the roof?

Seems if they are too close you could get sewer gas coming back through the bath fan. I did a search but couldn't find this specifically.

lojoma

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Would bath fan venting out the wall rather than the roof make a difference?
I figured the damper isn't the most reliable thing for this intent. If I'm incorrect let me know. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The vent's gasses tend to rise, but the wind can make it go anywhere. When the bathroom exhaust fan isn't running, if the damper isn't perfect, I suppose it could leak, but the gasses in still are tend to not do that. It somewhat depends on what you're using for a roof vent termination for the fan. Some of them also have a damper in them, and then with the two, it would be much harder to get any fumes down there. You need something for the bathroom vent on the roof to keep out snowmelt or rain, or condensation from dripping back down the duct.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks