Disposal works but water isn't draining

Users who are viewing this thread

Terryb

Reaction score
Hi -
My garbage disposal was working fine earlier today but then when I ran water in the sink a little later in the day - the water wouldn't drain.

I have a Sinkmaster Model 450, double sink with dishwasher. I do not have any information on the disposal - it came with the house when I bought it 5 years ago.

After baling the water out, I tried it again without running any water and it seems to run fine, water was spraying out from somewhere in the disposal, and it ground up the piece of food I put in it. I ran some more water and it just sat there.

I know absolutely nothing about plumbing. The other sink drains fine so I am inclined to think that there is something wrong with the disposal or a clog in it.

Do you know what might be causing the sink not to drain? Hopefully, it is a quick fix that I can do myself. Also, there does not appear to be a jam.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It's not the disposal; you have a clog under the sink. Probably need to disassemble the p-trap.

Terryb

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response.

Is that fairly easy to do or do I need to call a plumber?

Terryb

Reaction score
Is the p-trap the curved pipe or is it the pipe that is straight and goes from the disposal to the other sink's drain?

If it is the curved one - not sure how that can be clogged since the other sink drains just fine into that pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

If it were the trap the water would be coming up in the other sink when you turned on the disposer. The plug is in the tee where the disposer pipe connects to the pipe going down to the trap. It is a little more involved than just removing the trap, but with a little thought you will see how to unfasten it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Good call by Terry and hj. MY BAD....I didn't catch that the second sink drained OK. SO, as they said, it can be the T; it can also be right at the exit of the disposal. You might try disconnecting the ouotlet tube from the disposal. It will either have a nut on it, or a retainer flange with 2 bolts in it. Once you get that off, the clog should be apparent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disposer

Once they disturb that connection, depending on the model disposer and its age, they may not be able to reconnect it without it leaking and could have to replace the disposer. But if that were the case, it is just about worn out anyway and should be replaced.

FixyVicki

Reaction score
I just had the same problem and just now got done fixing it.
First, Turn off the breaker to the disposal! Now you need two small buckets or plastic containers. I put one under the curvy pipe(I'm sure it has a name) and then one under the straight across pipe. You really just need to remove the vertical pipe. I start at the end closer to the curvy pipe and just loosen it enough to let the water drain into the bucket. Then I went to the side connected to the disposal (needed a flat head screw driver). Then I took the pipe out and was able to see the chunks of carrots stuck near the curvy end!(now I know no root vegetables from now on!) I did take my little friend the "Sink Snake" and stuck it down inside to make sure nothing else was in there. (If you don't have a Sink Snake, I would recommend you get one or something like it) THAT'S IT!Put everything back and check for leaks over the next few days! You may have to re-tighten whatever was undone. Sometimes I will reseal by stretching plastic wrap around either end of the pipe in order to get a tighter fit!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks