Disposal too heavy to hold up and screw in at the same time.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cellardoor, Jun 7, 2011.

1. cellardoor

cellardoor New Member

Had to remove garbage disposal--now can't replace it. Has anyone any ideas of how to prop the disposal up and turn the top--all by myself. Getting a strong man to do it is not an option--if I can help it.
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

I used my knee to hold it up, and a strong man will have a hard time.
  3. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

If it is ISE then the strainer would hold it up.
  4. plumber2011

plumber2011 Expert Plumber

Hi Cellardoor

I would just recommend that you temporarily block the disposer up using telephone books and other sturdy books you find around your house until you can set the disposer in place and tighten the collar. That should be all you need here...;)
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I use my knee, but when the sink drain is back too far it can be a challenge. Use your car jack to lift it. BUT, if you are reinstalling the same disposer, corrosion and age, can make it very difficult to engage the locking ring even with the disposer supported.