Disposal/sink connection

Users who are viewing this thread

TheZster

Reaction score
Just finished hooking up a new double sink with disposal on one side... I used the traditional (I call it traditional) "T" fitting between the two drain outlets that drops down to the P-trap. My plumber tells me this is no longer allowed by code and that I need the disposal to drop directly to the trap - with the other sink outlet joining that just prior to the trap. What's up with this.... I can't keep up with all the regulations... but try - and want to be compliant prior to my upcoming inspection...

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
There is nothing with using a DW tee. What would you have done if you didn't have a disposal?

John

TheZster

Reaction score
That's kind of my point... I would have used the same "T" between the two drains. Every double sink/disposal I've ever owned (14 to date) has been connected like this...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Since the disposal acts like a pump, to prevent problems, it's my understanding that the T needs to be a baffle T to help prevent the potentially high-speed water and waste from shooting over and coming up in the other sink.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HE is either stupid, or as I say in the previous posting, trying to give you a hard time. The conventional sink/disposer connectors ALL have the connection for the sink on top of the tee, and a STRAIGHT pipe out the side for the disposer. IF they were set up the way he says, the the branch pipe would have an elbow on the end, and it would be a conventional double drain continuous waste. Who is this "My Plumber" anyway?

TheZster

Reaction score
he's the "licensed plumber" required by the county.... He did all the rough in's... and I did the finish work.... When he came in prior to the final inspection- he said the "T" was incorrect.. and that the 1 1/4 trap on the pedestal sink wouldn't fly either... As I said: With all the different interpretations of "CODE"... I get confused... one city does it one way - the next does it another way.... Perfect example: One city requires purple primer on PVC - to prove it was used... The County will disallow it - considering it " ugly".... Sheesh.... How does a contractor get by these days...

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He may be "licensed", but I doubt that he is a plumber who is used to viewing "finish" plumbing from his comments. There are thousands of plumbers, maybe even the majority in the trade, who ONLY install the initial piping in buildings and NEVER connect ANY of the sinks, etc. which go into them.

TheZster

Reaction score
Okay... re-read the entire thread... and you piqued my curiosity.... a typical disposal comes with a 90degree discharge elbow (discharges horizontally - then drops to vertical)... From this I have always connected the typical "horizontal T" to connect the disposal discharge to the other sink tailpiece... Just want to make sure I didn't mislead you in any way... In between the two discharges (disposal/other sink) is the "baffled T" that goes to the P-trap.... Still sound proper? I agree with your assessment of the plumber - plus I think he specializes in commercial vs. residential.... He's not trying to screw me - just giving me his personal assessment....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To clarify your description. You throw the disposer's, (NOT Disposal, since that is a GE/Hotpoint trademark name for their disposers), drain elbow away and connect the straight tube from the baffle tee directly to the disposer. The other sink usually drops straight down into the tee. That is the same procedure used with commercial sinks also. My original assessment of him still stands.

TheZster

Reaction score
Oops.. I better get busy early tomorrow... final inspection is scheduled... and I used the fitting that came with the "disposer"..... Easily corrected..... (let's see - cut the other tailpiece shorter.... Longer tube to the trap..... couple of fittings..... Love it)..

Thanks HJ

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How did you use the "fitting that came with the disposer" unless you used a sink continuous waste with an elbow at the end of it? The disposer waste comes with a straight flanged tube that fastens to the disposer outlet, and goes directly to the tee, without "a couple of fittings".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks