Dishwasher soap dispenser does not open during cycle

Users who are viewing this thread

LBrandt

Reaction score
Hello,

We have an older model GE 900 potscrubber dishwasher, and the soap dispenser door no longer opens during the cycle. We can open and close it manually, but it doesn't operate on its own. My understanding is that it could be the timer. If so, is that difficult to replace? If it's not the timer, what other things could cause this problem?

And is it even cost effective to consider replacing the timer, versus simply replacing the dishwasher?

Thanks,
Louis

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It can be the timer, but there is probably also a solenoid or something that actually operates the door. Both can be replaced, and the parts will not be expensive. Labor could be a couple of hours if you pay to have it done, that will up the ante. If you give us the actual model number, we can see a parts diagram and give you a better idea. The model number will start with typically 2 or 3 letters, such as GSD.......

LBrandt

Reaction score
It can be the timer, but there is probably also a solenoid or something that actually operates the door. Both can be replaced, and the parts will not be expensive. Labor could be a couple of hours if you pay to have it done, that will up the ante. If you give us the actual model number, we can see a parts diagram and give you a better idea. The model number will start with typically 2 or 3 letters, such as GSD.......

Jimbo,

Thanks for your reply. The model number is GSD900D. We believe that it was installed in 1984.

Thanks,
Louis

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You can enter your model number here: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action
select 'TYPE OF SEARCH' model numbe. You will see the diagrams. In this case they do not give enough detail to tell exactly what activates the dispenser. The latch is only about $10, but the time is $100. At 27years old, you are frankly ill-advised to invest ANY time or money on it. It's your call, especially if you don't mind fiddling with it yourself a little bit. I would NOT spend money on a timer. If you can figure out a simple repair like the latch, go for it.

LBrandt

Reaction score
Thanks again. I looked at the site that you mentioned, but the problem is, when I go to that site, I see many, many model numbers with the same first digits as ours, but with additional digits following, so I have no idea which one ours is.

Best regards,
Louis

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If there is no other number visible on your data plate, sometimes just use the lowest sequence #. Most of the parts will not vary between similar models.

Besides sears, there is repairclinic.com and partsselect.com
Both show the latch and release lever. Partsselect has the diagrams as well. A call to any parts distributor could probably clear it up. You could take the door apart to inspect the arm and the latch. If they are oK, that may leave the timer. You could buy a dishwasher of similar performance for $200, although I recommend getting into the $400+ range for a good performing, quiet dishwasher. Your machine, if it has never had service, probably has worn out rollers, racks, marginal spray performance, may be on the verge of needing a pump..$150 + labor.....etc.

LBrandt

Reaction score
Jimbo,

Thanks again. I did find the additional model number. It's GSD900D-03. I did look at the diagram, and even though the diagram was a little hard to follow, I think that I saw the latch. Let me ask you this to make sure that I was actually looking at the latch. Is the latch itself inside the "box" that also houses the timer? One more thing that I should add. We can open and close the soap dispenser door manually. Would this mean that the latch is most likely NOT the problem?

Thanks,
Louis

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
soap dispensers are typically opened by a "bimetal" switch which "expands" when electicity is applied to it. When that happens the switch "grows" and releases the dispenser's door. IT is a cheap and simple repair to replace it.

LBrandt

Reaction score
soap dispensers are typically opened by a "bimetal" switch which "expands" when electicity is applied to it. When that happens the switch "grows" and releases the dispenser's door. IT is a cheap and simple repair to replace it.

Thanks hj, Jimbo said that it might be the latch. Is that the same thing as the switch that you referred to? If not, where would the switch be located?

Louis

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
A lot of the thermal operated type dispensers depend on the temperature of the water.

If the water is not hot, the dispenser will never open.

DonL

Reaction score
We always run the hot at the sink prior to purge out the cold/tepid water.

That is the best way to do it.

A lot of people use the heating element in the unit to heat the water.
Then when the element burns up the water is not hot enough.

Hot water tanks are made to hold hot water, Not dishwashers.

Dishwashers do not work well with cold water.

Hot water in, Clean Dishes out.

Seems simple.

But it does need some soap, and the dispenser should open.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A lot of people use the heating element in the unit to heat the water.
Hot water tanks are made to hold hot water, Not dishwashers.
Rest assured, my HWT does not hold any dishwashers, only hot water. :p

I cannot speak for all dishwashers but mine at least does not have a temperature sensor on the built-in heater. Mine simply runs on a timer and as such, cold/tepid in results in just warm, not hot water and poor results.

LBrandt

Reaction score
We tried running it with the hottest water setting, but it didn't make any difference. The door didn't open.

Jimbo said that it might be the latch, and hj said that it might be the switch. Two questions: Is the latch the same thing as the switch, and are either of them located inside the "box" that contains the timer?

Thanks,
Louis

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The latch, or switch, is the device that "hooks" the cover closed. They would never depend on water temperature to open, because that would mean there was NO WAY to control WHEN it opened.

LBrandt

Reaction score
hj,

Thanks again. So the "latch" and the "switch" are the same thing. I just looked at the partsselect.com website, and I saw the diagram of the area that you referred to. According to the site, there seem to be three parts that affect the opening of the soap door. One was called "detergent cup release arm", the second was "detergent cup shaft lever" and the third was called "detergent cup door spring".

I can order all three of these parts, but I still have this last question. Should all of these parts be easily accessible once I remove the inside panel, or would any of these parts only be accessible inside the timer box?

Louis

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You will find out once you open it. That's how repair work goes! Unless you have a dedicated repair manual for THAT model, you just have to wing it.
Guys that work on DW all day long, have probably worked on that one before IF they have been around for 20 years!

DonL

Reaction score
The latch, or switch, is the device that "hooks" the cover closed. They would never depend on water temperature to open, because that would mean there was NO WAY to control WHEN it opened.

Some units use a bees wax and work just like a thermostat in an automobile.
The spray head , if rotating properly warms the soap dispenser and makes it open.

Old school dishwashers had a dispenser in the door that you filled, When you shut the door it would just dump.

You can just add soap manually at the beginning of the wash.

Grandma's dishwasher was the kids.

Now things are more complicated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks