Dishwasher replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

kw29294

Reaction score
We're trying to replace our dishwasher - unfortunately the previous homeowner installed hardwood floors up to but not under the existing dishwasher. We have since installed granite counters. Now we're not sure how to get the dishwasher out, and if we do get it out, how to replace it with a new one given the clearance is too low for "standard" 34" high dishwashers. Any suggestions or advice?

Last edited:

Casman

Reaction score
I'm no expert but just went through the same process of removal at my mothers home. We reached under and adjusted up all the feet and that allowed it to come out, we were preparing to cut the feet off but it was unnecessary, then with careful measuring, found a maytag that fit and just barely...other then that The counter top maybe would need to be raised during placement...We had considered removing the feet legs all together, then if needed cutting them down and refit once in place...I'm sure there will be more suggestions...good luck

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
I've seen wood flooring that had to be cut out and tile flooring that had to be broken out, due to being installed it in front of dishwashers without raising the cabinet and dw.
When we remodeled a few years ago and tiled the kitchen floor, I raised the sink cabinet base and dishwasher 5/8" (pressure-treated plywood sheet and shims) to allow for the tile and installation of any dishwasher in the future. Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dw

Some such as Whirlpool have more adjustment. To get yours out you will have to adjust the feet to their shortest setting and then hope there is enough room to pull it out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just an off-topic note. The counter height of "standard" cabinets you can buy today was set in the early 1950's for the average woman. 55 years later, the average person is a bunch taller. Instead of having custom cabinets made when I remodeled, I put them on a raised platform - thus, I should never have a problem getting a dishwasher out. Now, sliding the 300# stove out is not to be done without some serious planning!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks