Dishwasher Repair and 2 Licensed Plumbers Opinions - Need a third.

Users who are viewing this thread

bean

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a dishwasher drain hookup that is being repaired on Friday.

The original drain hookup was a dishwasher hose attached to another rubber dishwasher discharge hose with a nylon union in between with hose clamps holding it together and sealing the two, but after almost 8 years, the dishwasher manufacturer hose broke and the seal at the union was lost therefore leaking.

SO:

Called a plumber in. He tried to fix it and obviously it was a no go because he was generally there just to see the problem and give me a day when one of his guys could come and fix it.

My question is this.

He said that the best way to drain the dishwasher (because of where the dishwasher drain hose comes through in the basement under the kitchen floor) would be to tie it directly into a 3" abs drain pipe near the discharge hose and eliminate the long run of the original drainage and the union in between the two hoses where the leak was.

His idea is in the picture attachment i have here. ( See attached flie drawing png.)

So the other plumber i talked too said it wasn't a good idea because of burning up the pump on the dishwasher. Well, it only has a few years left in it and I'm not too concerened about that, my concern was about the drain having no trap in it. Is this an issue or is it ok?

Attachments

• dw.png
    dw.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 515
Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are right this needs a p-trap and airgap,
unless you want all the sewer gas and bacteria from the sewer coming up around your "clean" dish's and into
your house !
Such as typhoid, plague, etc, everything that go's down the city sewer breaths up though your pipes !

Find a real licensed plumber that knows this and have them run this right

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you drain down into the line the dishwasher will NEVER fill with water. The connection would have to be made with a "P" trap and air gap, which means that would be an excellent spot for the sewer to overflow into the basement anytime there was a restriction, or excessive flow, in the pipe. "Burning out thepump", however would not happen. You are asking plumbers, and maybe not very good ones at that, to diagnose something they have no experience with. They may be "licensed plumbers, but they are NOT appliance repair technicians. Someone does not know what they are doing if they cannot replace a dishwasher's drain hose.

air_gap_dearborn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You just can not drain a DW the way you have diagrammed. Please refer to the illustration Terry provided. Almost any hardware store has replacement DW drain hose. Assuming you can access the underside of the DW, it's simple enough to replace, but you can not just run the drain hose through the floor and into the sewer line. EVER

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That guy who said to dump it into a piece of 3" should be publicly beaten with his own tools! :eek:

Well said! It would be one thing for an uninformed DIY to come up with that idea, but anyone, even a hack, should know that is totally wrong.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks