Dishwasher question

Users who are viewing this thread

cloosbro

Reaction score
Hello - can I hook up my dishwasher supply line to the hot valve or does it have to connect to cold only?

thanks,
Corey

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It should connect to to the hot.

Some dishwashers have an option for heating the water, but most don't
And if you really want hot water, you should run some out of the faucet first, before turning the washer on.
Otherwise it will fill with cold water until the hot line unloads. Since a dishwasher uses so little water, unless you purge the line, it's going to be cold or luke warm at best.

Last edited:

Fubar411

Reaction score
A guy at Home Depot let me use a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon last night to buy an ECHO trimmer. So sometimes that ignorance helps.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My son used one of his football team mates to help dig two water service ditches.
With that experience using a pick and shovel for two days, he was able to land a job at Home Depot as the plumbing expert.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
I had a friend who hooked his dishwasher up to the cold. When he moved into his new house he asked me to come over and help with the new dishwasher and kitchen sink. I was getting ready to cut the hot side for the connection and he stopped me with a "WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, I thought you were a plumber! You know that's the hot side right?" I nodded my head "Yes, I know where the hot is." He said "Then why are hooking up the dishwasher to the hot side?" I kinda just looked at him and tilted my head like a dog does and said "Are you serious? You always hook up the dishwasher to the hot side, unless you have a brand that says not to, which you don't" Just then his wife starts in "I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! He hooked up our old dishwasher to the cold side and for 5 years I could never figure out why we never had any steam when I opened the door and the dishes would never be clean. I insisted it should be on the hot side but he told me he knew better than me! HA!!!" I just patted him on the back and said "When you want a job done right, then DON'T do it yourself". :) We're still friends.......

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; With that experience using a pick and shovel for two days, he was able to land a job at Home Depot as the plumbing expert.

he was lucky, many times companies will not hire "over qualified" people for a position. As far as this one's question about the dishwasher. Unless you want to wash your dishes in cold water, or wait a half hour if your dishwasher has an expensive to operate water heater in it, you should use hot water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks