Dishwasher not draining

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by kpd007, Sep 7, 2005.

1. kpd007

kpd007 New Member

Neat forum. So, for my first post I will ask for help. Two years ago I installed a Kenmore dishwasher and it has worked great since day one. It was not a hard install as I only replaced an existing aged dishwasher. Now after two years, the dishwasher will not drain completely. There is usually about two inches of standing water in the bottom. The drain air gap has not overflowed. When I use the "drain" cycle it still will not drain completely?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    KPD007
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

One thing to check is the entire drain hose, all the way from the DW. Any kink, or internal clog, can cause problems. Otherwise, it may be the pump.

There is an excellent appliance repair forum at http://homerepairforum.com
  3. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

maybe

a chunk of meat in the hose?
  4. If it is worth your time I would take the bottom pull out grate, inspect the screen inlet in the center of dishwasher. If there are screws (most likely) then unscrew them and remove the inlet screen. Even though those holes are small, sometimes weird stuff gets past the screen. Shrimp tails, toothpicks, rabbit grass from easter are just a sample of some things that I have seen make it through the hose and clog an air gap. :confused: