Dishwasher filled with dirty sink water

Users who are viewing this thread

janisum

Reaction score
Last night after draining the dirty sink water, I found standing, dirty and stinky sink water in the btm. of dishwasher. It is still standing this morning and the smell is awful!! I just bought the house and the dishwasher is a old Kenmore Elite that doesn't dispense the soap when running so it's junk anyway. But the garbage disposal is a Evolution Compact-P1. Is there anyone who can give me some troubleshooting or possible issues that's causing this? Sorry my image is sideways..

Thanks in advance
Janisum
001.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
Your dishwasher is not hooked to the drain system correctly. I suggest you post another photo showing how the disposal is connected to the drain system. The disposal could drain to that P-trap that you are connecting to the dishwasher hose currently.

It is usually best if the dishwasher pumps into the inlet that the dishwasher has for the purpose. That involves knocking out a plug before making that connection. The tubing should at least go to a high loop before the disposal.

You could also have a clogged drain pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw.jpg

Most places want to see an air-gap installed for the dishwasher to prevent waste flowing back through the dishwasher drain.
The dishwasher pumps out, there is an air gap to break the siphon, and then on the gravity side it flows down to the drain.
In some cases, plumbers will at least run the hose from the dishwasher as high as they can under the counter first, before connecting to a drain. That's called adding a high loop.

janisum

Reaction score
Your dishwasher is not hooked to the drain system correctly. I suggest you post another photo showing how the disposal is connected to the drain system. The disposal could drain to that P-trap that you are connecting to the dishwasher hose currently.

It is usually best if the dishwasher pumps into the inlet that the dishwasher has for the purpose. That involves knocking out a plug before making that connection. The tubing should at least go to a high loop before the disposal.

You could also have a clogged drain pipe.
Thank you for the quick reply. I am including a picture of what I believe you want to see. Please let me know if it's not and I will retake. The tube is running from the disposal straight down into the wall

Attachments

• 004 (800x450).jpg
    004 (800x450).jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 479

Reach4

Reaction score
I am including a picture of what I believe you want to see. Please let me know if it's not and I will retake. The tube is running from the disposal straight down into the wall
The black thing is an electrical wire. The pipe with a valve is running hot water to the dishwasher. The two vertical pipes are hot and cold water to the kitchen sink faucet.

Show us a photo that shows the back side of the disposal and the pipe hooked to that. Maybe take a picture from one of the back corners of the under-sink area.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What you have is unsafe, and does not meet plumbing codes. Depending on what your local plumbing code calls for, you may be required to have the air gap as shown in Terry's diagram. But, if that's not the case, as was stated, probably the next best and most common way to drain a DW, is to use the port on the disposer that is designed for it (not hard piped into the waste system like shown). Plus, the hose needs to at least go up as high as you can get it inside of the cabinet before it goes down into the disposer.

What happens with what you have, the disposer acts like a pump, and because the DW is draining below and after the disposer, it can take the path of least resistance, which happens to be into the DW, verses down the drain. You need to change that!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is nothing wrong with using the p-trap.
Running to the disposer in itself does nothing to fix it. It can also back flow to the dishwasher.
If she takes the hose and brings it high first, it may solve it. The air-gap nails it.

janisum

Reaction score
The black thing is an electrical wire. The pipe with a valve is running hot water to the dishwasher. The two vertical pipes are hot and cold water to the kitchen sink faucet.

Show us a photo that shows the back side of the disposal and the pipe hooked to that. Maybe take a picture from one of the back corners of the under-sink area.
I tried taking a picture of the backside but couldn't upload it. I got error that file was too large. It's actually smaller than the other pics.. I'll try tomorrow. Also, did I mention that when I drained the sink water, I didn't use the disposal. And thanks to all you guys for your help
Janisum

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks