Dishwasher Elbow leak

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by MRfix, Feb 10, 2014.

1. MRfix

MRfix New Member

Just installed my new dishwasher and the elbow fitting for the supply line leaks. Tried a different elbow....leaks.....doesn't even slow down the water. Anyone have any advice on these things?

IMAG1130.jpg

thanks
  2. Smooky

Smooky Member

Is there a rubber washer in there?
  3. MRfix

MRfix New Member

Yes, the washer is in there....properly seated....so far as I can tell.
  4. jim mills

jim mills New Member

Looks cross threaded to me.
  5. Smooky

Smooky Member

There should be a rubber washer. Make sure the female brass hose connection part is not cross threaded. The plastic male hose part should bottom out against the rubber gasket to get a proper seal.
  6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

It seems odd that they would expect you to supply water with a female hose connector. Are you confident that that plastic isn't some other thread?
  7. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

Did you use Teflon tape? Take it off and make sure its not cross threaded then don't use any and snug it up with some channel locks.
  8. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

This is becoming more common for dishwasher connections.
  9. jim mills

jim mills New Member

Pretty much the standard now.

To the OP: You might want to remove the copper supply line and screw the elbow on first. Then reconnect the supply line.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  10. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Like mentioned above, you will need to remove the tape from those two connections.
    Tape will only cause leaks where you have used it.
  11. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF it is cross threaded, which it appears to be, then you have created "new threads" on the valve and will have to carefully try to get the nut on and restore the original ones, which can be tricky. As stated, remove the copper line first, because that can prevent you getting the nut aligned properly, and which is probably why it got crossed. I, and many other plumbers, would use a flexible stainless steel connector instead of copper with that type of connection. IF tape, or joint compound, is not needed, such as on this connection, it usually does not cause any problems.
  12. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

To prevent cross threading in the first place, it is usually best to turn the threaded piece CCW until a click or detent is felt. Then tighten CW.

I will call the piece that you turn the ring. Once cross threaded, I think I would unscrew the ring while pulling gently apart. Note and mark on the ring what position the ring was in at that point of release. Then I would press and turn the ring CCW a few times, noting where the click is felt. IF there are two clicks each rotation, give preference to the one that does not correspond to the mark on the ring.
  13. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Not sure it is cross threaded, but it is out of alignment, and is not flush against the rubber gasket.

The angle is slightly off.

The Copper tubing needs to be a little higher.

You can just hold up on the copper tubing while you tighten it.

Good Luck.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  14. hj

THAT IS the definition of being cross threaded. Along with being "tight", but NOT preventing leaks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
  15. DonL

The reason that it is not working is because that adapter is made to hook up to a 3/4 inch MHT Water supply. It is on the wrong end of the supply line, for its intended use.

The water valve is 3/4 inch Mips, Not MHT.

You need to add another adapter like this ;

brass-hose-adapter.jpg

Or get the proper 3/4 inch Fips to 3/8 inch compression 90.

Reach4 was correct in post #6.

It may be cross threaded by now, if it was wrenched on.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  16. jim mills

jim mills New Member

Nope, they all have that MHT now. At least the 6 or 7 I have done in the last year.
  17. hj

IF it were 3/4" MIPS, (which, by the way, it is NOT), the nut would have tightened to it, even though the thread would be a bit "loose". I often encounter situations, usually in lawn sprinkler installations, where I have to connect a hose thread nut to a 3/4" pipe thread with absolutely NO problems. If they were to try YOUR adapter, it would not even start to engage because the pipe thread is smaller than a hose thread. You are a "jack of all trades" but not a master of this one. Some companies send the hose adapter elbow with the DW, but others surprise you and say you have to locate one and purchase it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
  18. DonL

OK, I stand corrected.

I guess I had my head up my ass.

HUA.jpg

Carry on Gentleman.
  19. hj

The only other time I saw something like that was when an elephant sat down on his trainer.
  20. jim mills

jim mills New Member

You mean I've been using a 3/4" MIP to MHT all these years for no apparent reason?!?! ;)