Dishwasher drainage problem

Users who are viewing this thread

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
My dishwasher doesn't drain all of the waste water from the tub. There is the same amount of water in the tub each and every time I run a cycle. I have pulled the drain hose off and watched it during the drain cycle.. A very small amout of water dribbles out. I turned off the water feed and cycled it on Rinse and Hold. Same amount of water in the tub. I turned the water feed back on, ran it through a Light Wash Cycle and the same, though very hot, water was still in the bottom of the tub. Obviously, at least to me, it is bringing in more water yet, it will always leave about an inch and one half to two inches of water in the bottom. It does not overflow onto the kitchen floor.

I pulled off the drain hose and put it into a deep bucket. Shutting off the water inlet valve again, I ran the Rinse and Hold cycle. When the unit starts aerating, a very small amount of water dribbles out. When the unit switched to exhaust, the flow picks up and discharges some water. If I do this five or six times water inlet off, I can empty the bottom of the tub.

Clog? Weak pump?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wonder about just how the drain line is run. Do you have an air gap or high loop? Does the drain hose go into the sink drain via the disposal or if no disposal, does it attach to the sink drain with a special Y connection? These are the only correct options for draining a DW. Some areas allow the high loop, other require an air gap, but one or the other must be used. The hose connects to the sink drain ahead of the P trap. If you have any other connection, that is all most certainly the cause of the problem you are having. Let us know just how your DW is connected.

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
I installed a high loop (about 12 years ago). No disposal. It goes in the downpipe of the P trap, just before the trap, via a Y connection.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, that pretty much answers my concerns. My next concern would be that since this DW apparently is 12 years old, perhaps your idea about the pump may be valid. Could be repairable or it could be time for a new DW. I have no working knowledge of the innards of a DW, if I have a problem with an appliance, I call a repairman. I could probable disassemble the thing, but I'd end up with a basket full of parts. LOL.

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
Heh!! So would I. Thanks, Gary! I have been leaning toward replacing it also. Parts and labor (Yeah, I could do it...but......) would surely run up to 150-200 and a replacement runs about $379.00. The age thing definitely has me saying just go ahead and replace. Something else will surely go kaput in the next 12 mos.

Thanks again!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Clog? Weak pump?

Normally if the pump is bad the unit will not wash, Because of no pressure to the spray arms.

I would suspect Food Particles in the drain hose, If it does have pressure during the wash cycle.

What is your model number ?

Hotbacon

Reaction score
We just had the same issue recently. I checked all the hoses, cleaned out the basin, cleaned out the screens and confirmed in my head that there were no clogs. Called in GE repair and in 30 seconds, he reached his hand in the drain area inside the wash basin and pulled out a small piece of cardboard. $150 for 30 seconds and the dishwasher runs good as new.

That being said, 12 years might be a good time to replace your dishwasher. If not for potential near future repair issues, for the efficiency upgrade.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks