Dishwasher drainage hook up

Users who are viewing this thread

Jared555

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time posting on here. Glad there are resources like this available for the weekend DIY'er!

I think I have a simple question and it appears as though most of the rough in work is complete however I'd like your opinion.

I'm installing a dishwasher and need to know where I should be connecting the drain line. I've seen examples where you would connect to a barbed abs pipe on the verticle section of the sinks drain but I have a little bit different of a set up and might be able to not bother cutting and adding new pieces in.

Please see the attached photo and let me know if I should connect via the green arrow or red arrow and what I might use to make the connection between the large pipe and narrow drain hose.

The red arrow connection looks to be held by plumbers putty. The green arrow has a permanently connected cap that looks like the red arrow's cap piece.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Use the one with the yellow arrow. If you connect on the outlet side of the P-trao you will get sewer gas back into the house.

Jared555

Reaction score
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks - Upon closer inspection it appears that there is a metal plug on the end of the green arrow that unscrews to facilitate a drain pipe being inserted!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dw

I would take a saw and cut that whole thing apart, starting with the trap, then install a new drain system with a "dishwasher branch" tailpiece below the sink strainer.

branch-tailpiece-for-dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks