Dishwasher drain not close to sink or disposal, is this okay? (Images)

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate714

Reaction score
I haven't actually connected anything yet, as I'm not sure if its a good idea.

I am going off how the old dishwasher drain was installed. The drain starts with the loop on the side of the dishwasher, then through the hole in the floor, then has a large loop, after that the drain goes into a drain pipe.
The drain pipe has a slight incline then does a drop. This drain pipe then connects to a pipe that my sink drain also attaches.

Will this be okay to do?

Also, I know the wires hanging is dangerous. There is a lot to do on my house :/

Thanks in advance!

wPWffH9.jpg

Ff1i5st.jpg

nrt0x3G.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161127_010813.jpg
    IMG_20161127_010813.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 430

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That is a bad idea because having the hose draining to a point below the unit can cause the hose to siphon, allowing the sewer gas to come back up into the dishwasher. The hose should come up to an air gap fitting placed in the countertop, and then drain to a properly trapped and vented drain.

Nate714

Reaction score
So, before the hose goes through the floor, it should instead, go up to the top of the counter ( install a air gap on top of the counter(could this air gap be installed below the counter because the counter above is actually a cutting board, and do they make air gaps that are for dishwasher drains, not just a big PVC one) ) from the air gap it should then go through the floor and directly to the drain pipe with no looping below the floor?

I've also read about routing the drain line high before connecting is done. Would this "connecting" be the connection to the PVC drain pipe? If so, this means I could make a high loop( after the loop attached to the dishwasher) with no air gap?

Sorry, I've never seen a dishwasher not by a sink before.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Yes, there is a specific air gap fitting for a dishwasher, and it is required by code in many places. It is not permitted to run the drain hose through the floor anywhere in the U.S. There needs to be a standpipe with a properly vented trap brought up in the space adjacent to the dishwasher.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the last few dishwasher calls I've been on, the dishwasher has an integral check valve which precludes the dirty water being sucked back into the dishwasher where the clean dishes are sitting pretty after the wash cycle.

Nate714

Reaction score
Yes, there is a specific air gap fitting for a dishwasher, and it is required by code in many places. It is not permitted to run the drain hose through the floor anywhere in the U.S. There needs to be a standpipe with a properly vented trap brought up in the space adjacent to the dishwasher.

This "code" is kind of weird.. technically we could consider the PVC standpipe a drain hose.. just a larger one and hard plastic. I guess I don't know why gas can run back into the drain hose, but gas somehow can't pass through PVC pipe. I would assume gas can pass through both. I suppose the siphoning is more rare on a large diameter pipe? (Just my curiosity)

In some states, is it okay to just do a high loop with no air gap?

Nate714

Reaction score
In the last few dishwasher calls I've been on, the dishwasher has an integral check valve which precludes the dirty water being sucked back into the dishwasher where the clean dishes are sitting pretty after the wash cycle.

Would this keep the gasses from coming back? Seems like the gasses is what the "code" is afraid of.

Found a website which talks about the valve. Reading on it now.
http://www.partselect.com/Repair/Dishwasher/Not-Draining/

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A dishwasher that drains into a disposer would have a trap between the disposer and the wall.
Sometimes you will see a p-trap at the wall and the dishwasher drain connected to that, most of the time from a counter air-gap.
Connecting direct to a sewer line omitting the trap can allow whatever air or gas in the main lines to find it's way into the dishwasher.
Some newer dishwashers may have a high loop, or a check, but many older dishwashers are just a direct line to the bottom of the dishwasher.

Nate714

Reaction score
A dishwasher that drains into a disposer would have a trap between the disposer and the wall.
Sometimes you will see a p-trap at the wall and the dishwasher drain connected to that, most of the time from a counter air-gap.
Connecting direct to a sewer line omitting the trap can allow whatever air or gas in the main lines to find it's way into the dishwasher.
Some newer dishwashers may have a high loop, or a check, but many older dishwashers are just a direct line to the bottom of the dishwasher.

I do have a new model with a check valve and I think it has a high loop(image 1 shows this I think). I should still put an air gap..I wonder if I can put the air gap just under the counter at the top of a high loop. That way I don't have this pipe cap sticking out on my counter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks