Dishwasher drain hose

Users who are viewing this thread

Granfoo

Reaction score
I've recently had a new counter top, sink and cabinets installed in my kitchen. My old setup had an Insinkerator which my dishwasher drain hose connected to. I may or may not reconnect the ISE at
a later date. The problem is that somehow the drain hose is too short to reach the drain now. I only
need about 2 more ft. I'm guessing that previously there was no under sink loop, I can't remember.
I can make an extension of the hose as shown, but then I would have 16 ft of drain hose as the dishwasher already has 10 ft of hose because it loops up the side of the dishwasher. I've read that this loop does not take the place of the under sink loop. Would 16 ft of drain hose be a strain on the pump? And where should I
put the extra hose, up high somewhere so water doesn't sit in it, or is that not a concern? Also, does anyone
see anything wrong with the plumbing as is? I could just take out a tailpiece and replace it with one that
has a dishwasher connection (?)
20160622_181309.jpg 20160622_181335.jpg 20160622_182825.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can extend the hose with 5/8" hose, 1/2" copper for coupler and some hose clamps.
A dishwasher tee below the basket will work.
Some places want a high loop under the counter, and some an air-gap above the counter. An air-gap drains downward with 7/8" hose.

Granfoo

Reaction score
Wow Terry, thanks for your quick reply! Let's make sure I got it straight. Just go to Home Depot where they have all their rolled up hoses to cut to size and get the 2 ft I need. Any particular type of hose? Then replace a tailpiece with a tee that will fit the hose. The hose coming from the dishwasher will come into the bottom area of the cabinet and then go up to form the loop, then to the tee. Before the hose goes to the tee does it have to drop down to the floor of the cabinet again and then to the tee or can it go straight to it?
Just curious about the connector - any reason for it being copper?

MKS

Reaction score
5/8 clear from depot. Route and bend it so it doesn't kink.
Debur the 1/2 copper in and out.
1/2 copper is is about the same size od as the Id of the 5/8 hose.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any coupler will do there. I just happen to have copper on my trucks so it's easier and quicker just to cut a piece off.

This is how I normally install with an air gap. The air gap takes 5/8" hose in, and 7/8" out.

sink_dw.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks