Dishwasher drain diameter

Users who are viewing this thread

Julie Sandell

Reaction score
Hi all,

My new, high efficiency dishwasher won't drain, and the repairman (not very confidently) said it was the fault of an overly narrow drain line under my sink. Could that be true? Currently, the dishwasher drain hose connects to a 1/2" copper pipe that runs from the bottom of the cabinet under the sink, up a high loop (with 90 degree turns), then into my sink drain (after the p-trap, which I know could be a problem, but doesn't worth re-plumbing for unless it gets smelly).

My old (noisy and inefficient) dishwasher never had this problem. The repairman said the diameter is too narrow for the new, low power pumps to push through. True?

Thanks for your advice!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What brand of dishwasher do you have?
As far as I know, 1/2" has been fine for dishwashers as long as it's on the pipe coming from the dishwasher.
We use 7/8" after the air gaps, but but if you're using a high loop, the 1/2" should have been fine.
Options for connections in the Seattle area are

johnson_tee_b.jpg

Johnson tee, with a 1/2" copper line feeding it.

sink_dw.jpg

Air gap on countertop, draining either to the disposer or a tee before the p-trap, or second p-trap from wall.
A high loop in some cases. We install Bosch with a high loop and not the air gap.

Julie Sandell

Reaction score
It's a Bosch SilencePlus50. I attached the drain hose that came with the Bosch (larger diameter) to the small copper piping. All of the copper plumbing was already in the house. Could the 90 degree bends (at top of the high "loop") in the copper be the issue?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks