Dishwasher drain bypasses sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Niffer1179

Reaction score
This same question was asked below in a thread by johncm, but I have a similar problem without a simple work around.

Our dishwasher (in a very, very old) house was obviously installed after the sink and the drain hose goes through the floor into the basement, connects to a trap and drains directly into the main sewer line. It doesn't connect to the sink at all.

No air gap is required by our local building codes and the sink base cabinet is vintage metal that would requiring running the hose through two cabinets to get to the sink drain.

Is ok to use the existing drain setup since there is a trap installed? Thanks in advance for your help.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
yes

yes its ok. ---its sort of grandfathered in..

The main thing to remember is when you
instlal the new dishwasher, be sure to leave the loop in the drain line
that comes with the unit and is usually clamped to the side of the dw.

If you take that loop out , some units will fail to work properly.

One I had installed wrong without the high loop in the line, sort of kept filling and filling . Would not work properly.

Basically the water kept
going down the drain and constantly filling and the unit would not come on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks