Dishwasher/disposal wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by JMingrone, Nov 26, 2012.

1. JMingrone

JMingrone New Member

Do a disposal and DW HAVE to be on separate circuits? I have 2 circuits allocated for them, but one has plenty of capacity to run both. Can I simplify and run both off the one?

Also, Can the NM cable just come thru a hole in the sheetrock into the area where the sinkbase will be and after the sinkbase is installed, put a JB inside?

Thanks

-Jay
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Depends...if the installation instructions call for separate circuits, you should use separate circuits. Disposers are available in at least up to 1Hp versions, which along with a DW that was heating the water, might overload the circuit. So, to preserve long-term potential changes and options, an extra circuit won't hurt.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

In some cases, if not MANY, since the disposer, (NOT "Disposal"), switch is combined with other switchs or outlets above the countertop level, it is wired into that circuit and the dishwasher is separate, even though the disposer and dishwasher share the same duplex outlet.
  4. JMingrone

JMingrone New Member

Went ahead and ran both wires. Easy enough to do.

Thanks guys,

Jay
  5. big2bird

big2bird IBEW Electrician

I would run a 14/3 cable, feed it from a 2 pole 15 ampere breaker, and cut the tab between the upper/lower receptacle on the hot side.