Dishwasher and Icemaker Supply Lines Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Redrum

Reaction score
Hi, I have enjoyed reading numerous threads on this forum, learning a ton, and have decided to join to ask for opinions on a couple of things I am noodling.

The first - I have my kitchen gutted to the studs and am roughing water supply, dwv, and electrical for a completely new layout. From my new sink location, to the right is a 15" wide base cabinet, then the dishwasher, then the refrigerator, then a 24" cabinet, then the wall.

Since there is a cabinet in between the sink and the dishwasher, I plan to rough the hot water supply up from the basement, in the area behind the fridge (adjacent to diswasher, allowing supply to be fed to DW when I install it). I will also have a shutoff valve in the basement. I am assuming the shutoff in the basement and one behind the fridge is "accessible"

I will also have an icemaker shutoff box in the lower left area behind the refrigerator.

My question - would it make sense to rough in a washing machine box in that area, and use the cold for the icemaker and hot for the dishwasher? Since the appliances are adjacent causing the roughs to be in the same area, and the shutoffs are recessed. it makes sense to me.

But maybe you guys know something that I am not seeing.
Thank you
Jim

Redrum

Reaction score
Thanks HJ - is there a better way with both water supplies being located in the same area? I am concerned about just stubbing out and adding shutoffs, for fear that it might interfere with the fridge being pushed back.

Maybe use two icemaker boxes? Maybe stub out behind the dishwasher (is there a "safe" location?)

Jim

Reach4

Reaction score
696-g3011wr.jpg
Kitchen supply boxes can come in different configurations.

http://www.siouxchief.com/products/...et-box-with-minirester-water-hammer-arresters
http://www.siouxchief.com/products/supply/access/kitchen-supply-boxes

If you plan to run RO water to the icemaker, take that into account when choosing tubing. A fridge with a water dispenser needs a bigger supply than if there is just an icemaker.

Last edited:

Redrum

Reaction score
Thanks R4, I was not aware of these. What a nice solution for typical DW next to sink installations. But I couldn't find anything at SC that seemed appropriat for what I am doing. Ideally it would be a box with two valves - Cold (Icemaker) and Hot (Diswasher), BOTH with arrestors (both appliances tend to bang a bit), OR, I could add or make an arrestor T'ed off.

I think it might come back to two IM boxes adjacent to each other. One other thought would be to buy two valves with arrestors and the appropriate fitting, and get a PVC box and build one.

Jim

Redrum

Reaction score
yea, I tried also. I think I will go separate boxes. I could cannibalize but it's easier to just buy, install and sweat two. I like the idea for the supply shut off "access" being behind the fridge, with a short supply line to the DW itself. Thanks again.

Redrum

Reaction score
Ok, I'm back. Fittings are not a strength of mine. If I need to adapt, I want to make sure what I need is commonly available.

It's my understanding that the ice maker supply lines are 1/4" compression, so, If I bought two, that's what I would be starting with for the dishwasher as well. But, it's my understanding that the dishwasher supply is 3/8". So, two things:
a) I would have to adapt from 1/4" to 3/8"
b) would I be constricting the flow to the dishwasher using the 1/4, and causing problems/slow fill?

On the other hand, HJ's original response to me using a WM box, that I would have to adapt down, would I be better adapting down from the 3/4"(?) to 1/4" and 3/8"?

I tend to con volute things at times so if anyone wants to say "just use this and do this" that would be appreciated as well. Again, looking to rough dishwasher and icemaker supply in the same area.

Jim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need to run at least the full diameter line that the dish washer wants...IOW, you cannot run a 1/4" line then expand it. It will either not work, or take MUCH longer to complete a cycle. A 3/8" line can carry almost 2.5x more water, not counting the bigger losses of the smaller 1/4" line...remember the internal cross-section is the square of the radius, not just the difference in the diameter.

Redrum

Reaction score
Agree, that's what I suspected. I looked around at HD today at various brass adaptors, and it looks like I have a few options:
1) Use a washing machine box, then adapt the 3/4" hot to 3/8", and cold to 3/8" then 1/4" (as HJ suggested). About $20 for the adaptors.
2) Use the icemaker box and put a seperate 1/2" CU stub out somewhere (where?) for the DW, add shut off and arrestor.
3) Build my own box with two stubs, arrestors, and the appropriate shut off's (3/8" for DW, and 1/4" for icemaker).

I'm looking for the cleanest solution, I am taking every step possible to avoid future problems (i.e. after drywall is up, installing cabinets or appliances, and something I did needs to move or be changes).

That's why I am asking the forum. I can do any of the above, but since this is a first time for me, any thoughts are appreciated

Jim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is no standard on dishwashers on where the water supply line must come into the space, so you need to be careful about where you put it. It may or may not work. Most refrigerators have similar issues, but usually, if it doesn't stick out too far, it will work. While a DW needs to sit back fully to line up, most frigs don't need to, and could stick out a slight amount more.

Redrum

Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughts. The two box solution was right there under my nose, just wan't looking in the right place. Thanks to Reach4, I had thought about the kitchen supply ox box and wondered if an arrestor could be added, and I would just remove the extra valve to make the room for the arrestor.

But, the two box solution is a SC icemaker box and a toilet/diswasher box (duh, "dishwasher should have clued me in):

http://www.siouxchief.com/products/...et-box-with-minirester-water-hammer-arresters

I realize my application is nonstandard, most dishwashers get their supply from under the sink.

Jim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks